𝐑.𝐈.𝐏 𝐉𝐢-𝐚𝐡

"I used to think my life was a tragedy, but now I realize it's a comedy."

__________

Minji

"I'm home!"

"I can tell, you don't need to yell!"

I bowed formally and chuckled.

My dad used to be a detective. But now he's just a consultant. If the police are forced for professional help, he's the person they'll call.

My grandma got sick so he wanted to take care of her and that was one of the reasons he retired a few years ago. He's the main reason why I want to be a detective as well. Because of him.

But also because it's a dream of mine, of course.

"Ah dad?.... You know how I can read people?"

"Yes, I was the one who taught you that so of course."

"Well, is it possible for some certain people to be... unreadable?"

"Of course! For example, depressed people."

He was reading a newspaper while answering me.

"They look expressionless so you can't really tell if they're depressed or just really- well- expressionless."

"But I know how depressed people are. If this said person does not look depressed then how can you read him/ her?"

"Oh honey, depressed people aren't readable. Every depressed person is different. If you're looking from your point of view.. of how you were like when you had gone through that period, you might be right. But there is a high chance you're not. Besides that, people with strong character are also hard to read."

"Strong character?"

"You, me, lawyers etcetera. Basically, people who are mentally stronger than others. People who've learned how to hide their feelings from others. Such people are usually outgoing and sociable but... not always though."

Great, back at square one.

"Is there someone you can't read?"

"Hmm... I'm not sure what he's like though. My main guess now is that he's depressed or something.

"He? It's a guy?"

He finally looked at me for the first time since I had entered the house with crashed brows.

"My princess is interested in a guy?!"

I sighed and relaxed my shoulders after taking my bag off and dropping it on the carpeted floor.

"I'm not gonna date him, dad!"

"I'm gonna arrange you a marriage, if you don't plan on getting a boyfriend soon."

I laughed but when his neutral expression didn't change, I showed an annoyed expression.

"By the way, I'm going on a field trip tomorrow so if I scream at 6 AM, it's probably because of that. Don't worry, okay?"

"Why would you scream?"

"Well because it would be 6 AM and I would already be awake! So I'm probably going to scream out of anger! You know how much I appreciate my sleep."

"Please, do me a favor and if someone asks you who your parents are, don't tell them."

"Oh come on, I'm not that embarrassing."