Ch 33: Yaamil

~Shuri~

We were floating there, feeling like a grain of salt disintegrating amidst the endless skies of water.

Talokan glinted with green and blue lights, reminding me of its beauty despite being surrounded by darkness.

The ocean doesn't forgive. Its magic could blind us before giving a fatal blow.

My hands went cold and my heart spiked as I watched Adrian sink.

The smallest of ruptures on our suits could cause the water to seep through and crush us entirely without us even noticing.

Habits made of vibranium were carefully crafted to withstand great pressures, and yet Adria cut it easily.

I took hold of Adrian's arm and pressed a kimoyo bead on his wound. It was a miracle his body hadn't been crushed.

Water had started to sip through, although his helmet was isolated from the rest of his body, which meant he could still breathe.

"Shuri!"

Someone called my name but I couldn't seem to snap out of it.

Mama, please protect my sister. I forgot I had you all my life and yet Adria's biggest wish was to be your daughter.

She's your daughter too. Please, mama, don't let her die. I beg you!

"Shuri!"

I can't lose anyone else. Adria is all I have.

"Princess, keep moving!"

Namor yelled from afar. His eyes sunken with worry had glazed over mine for a second and yet that was all I needed to push through.

I can do this.

"Nakia. Okoye. You two take Adrian to Namor's cenote. Bring him down again once he's stable; we can't let him die."

They took Adrian and swiftly swam away thanks to their powered suits.

What could I possibly do underwater?

We had to fight with minimal intervention, and I had one way to do so.

"Nala, we must find Adam. If he's somehow controlling Adria, then he mustn't be too far away."

We searched left and right, scanning the perimeter but couldn't detect a ship. Adam couldn't possibly have the technology to make a habit like ours and come down here just like that. If he was nearby, there should be a submarine or something! But there was nothing.

Talokan's warriors were mobilized, working on taking people to safety.

There was great damage inflicted on the capital's structure. Buildings had collapsed and an explosion had taken place.

Adria was set on destroying it all. She was like a rampant lion shredding everything in her path.

Namor had caught up to Adria and gotten a hold of her ankle, but she kicked him in the face. Blood spread out whenever they collided.

His strongest warriors tried to keep up with them, throwing fishing nets at her, and trying to minimize her movement, but couldn't.

Every skin-to-skin friction sent waves of energy, and even us from far away could listen to those muffled strikes.

Namor used his spear against her, trying to impale and stop her movements. The scene was very familiar, but knowing my sister, that probably wouldn't work.

He hit her stomach, sending her body like a bullet against a house. The structure fell upon her and Namor dived in; the collision made another strong sound, but I couldn't see due to the debris floating around.