Ch 1: Party

~Adria~

The sky had always been known as vast and all-knowing. The world flourished thanks to her seasons; she gave us all we needed. People throughout time had worshiped her, calling her the most perfect and excellent being in existence, but even something as great as the sky has known pain.

When I was five, sister Miriam used to tell us stories about how the sky had fallen in love with a God whose body resembled a feathered serpent; a creator just as magnificent as her. He had the power to give life and create rain, wind, and storms. The sky saw his grace and succumbed to his embrace and eternal promises of affection. The feathered serpent God was incomparable and as a result, attracted the attention of all creation on earth. The sky was abandoned by her people and fell into jealousy. God saw how her heart had turned away from him, so he punished her.

It is said that the sky has been cursed with rain, storm, and thunder whenever she cried for her lover. She still pleads for him to come back to her only for him not to listen.

I remember the day the sky sobbed uncontrollably. Our little village couldn't withstand the winds and rain, and our orphanage was damaged. The rooftop collapsed and a few windows were shattered; we had no shelter.

I knelt on the mud and glanced at the tearful sky, then prayed for her to stop crying.

There was this beautiful silence I will never be able to forget. It was as if finally, the sky had found her consolement.

"¡Ya no llora!"

I exclaimed, saying over and over that she wasn't crying anymore. In the distance, I managed to listen to the waves of the sea, and the birds singing their happy songs.

Strange people had gathered nearby and stood in front of our shattered orphanage. A woman crouched by my side and wiped the mud off my face.

"A pretty girl like you shouldn't have a dirty face,"

She said with authority. I couldn't understand her language but it carried a feeling of safety.

She was a beautiful woman that seemed like the sun had kissed her more than it did the rest of us. She dressed like a princess; in a long white dress and had her hair in braids. I was too afraid of meeting new people, so I took a step back.

"Your highness, thank you so much for coming."

Sister Miriam said as she stood by my side. The princess wouldn't stop looking at me, she had kind eyes and a warm smile.

"We should first take the children somewhere safe. I had planned to leave the inauguration of the new Casa Hogar for later, but it looks like you all need it right now."

"Oh, your highness!"

Miriam exclaimed as she cried. I didn't know what they were saying, so my first instinct was to hug her in hopes she wouldn't cry anymore.

"You have a big heart,"

The princess said and I frowned since I thought she had made sister Miriam sad.

"Something in me is telling me that you would be a good little sister," she added with a laugh that felt as warm as the morning sun.

I didn't understand what her words meant, nor had realized how lucky I was. That little brown girl from a tiny village in Mexico had been taken under the wing by an incredible woman; Queen Ramonda from Wakanda. The thought didn't quite settle in until I was twelve and was sent to the United States to continue with my education.

Most would like to assume that I spent my childhood in the most privileged country in the world, but that wasn't the case. I was adopted under a different name and last name because according to my mother, I wouldn't be safe with their family name.