Ch 16: B'alam

~Namor~

Sleeping was on my wishlist, but after my encounter with the princess, it was no more. My room was decorated in browns and oranges, with a wide hammock and silk pillows on a corner. There were sofas, fluffy rugs, and abstract paintings of things I couldn't make out of. I appreciated the scented romantic candles around the edges of my bathtub, and the big conches on every stand. A beautiful and comfortable room and yet I couldn't relax.

I wondered what Adria would be doing and why Shuri called her over at such a time of the night. I shook my head as I realized I was smiling like a fool. From my previous experience, feeling giddy brings nothing good.

Books were tucked inside a cabinet, all sorts of romantic books which I had previously requested. Adria was fond of those and I found myself getting a bit too into them as well. I grabbed a thick book and opened its pages and indulged myself in the fantasies most girls dream about. Perhaps I would learn something new.

As I lost track of time, the sun arose from the horizon. I have been a fast reader since I was a child, therefore the book held no chance against me. Once prepared and meticulously adorned for the occasion, I thought of paying a visit to princess Adria, but Shuri surprised me with a silver tray of fruit, milk, bread, and honey on my way out

"Were you going out?"

"Ah, good morning princess. Yes! But come on in."

It was strange. Usually, I was the one doing the visiting.

"How did you sleep?"

She asked as she set the tray on the coffee table. Shuri slightly scooped her long brown dress to the side and sat on a low chair. I sat on the empty spot across from her, thinking we might have breakfast together, but she didn't touch anything.

"Very well."

She looked around and set her eyes on the many books on the floor. She glanced back at me in disbelief. The bags under my eyes must have given it out... or the books... or both.

"Eat. You must be hungry."

She insisted.

"Aren't you eating with me?"

"I already had breakfast. Mangoes... we have lots of them, so eat up."

"Ah. That might have been my fault."

"How?"

"After your birthday... I sent mangoes to the royal kitchen. Mango trees as well. Your sister seemed to like it."

"She likes mangoes, yes. You did that for her?"

"Of course. She looked so sad and frail—"

"Ah..."

She sighed, her hands on her lap as she looked away with a rather sad look in her eyes.

"What's wrong? Are you unwell?"

"You seem happy."

"Do I?"

"Yes, although what I am about to say may ruin it for you today."

I left the mango on the tray and scooted forward. The dread of her words weighed profoundly.

"Tell me. What is bothering you?"

"Before anything, promise me you will sit and listen. I will explain everything, but you just listen. Will you?"

"Of course princess."

She cleared her throat and still wasn't daring to look back at me. Tears drowned her eyes and I couldn't resist but lean closer and wipe those with my thumb.