Ch 21: Story

~Namor~

The tips of my fingers felt cold. Numb even. I saw Adrian's lips move, but no sound came out of him. The ocean was quiet, and Adria simply stood there, immobile as if time had stopped. I felt dizzy. My chest was heavy, and although I was breathing, it felt as if there was no oxygen. The sound of my heart throbbed in my head; thump thump thump. Panic arose from the pit of my stomach to my chest, making my legs feel weak. The last time I felt this way was when I was a child and had killed someone for the first time. I hadn't killed anyone today, but it felt as if the one who had died was I.

She doesn't know about the Queen. I thought... she would know.

I glanced back at the princess, aware Adrian could manipulate her with his cunning mouth. A second worry arose; how did he know about this? Even a Wakandan commoner wouldn't know the full details of what happened that day.

"Liar."

Adria said, gritting her teeth, cutting that man alive with her glare. The sound of my surroundings came alive as soon as she spoke. Time was moving again.

"Ask him. I doubt he would lie to your face."

Adrian barked, tilting his head down as he took a step forward. He was so sure of himself, so certain of the weight of his words. I felt anger build up once again, bubbling as if I could burst at any moment. Manipulative. Tactical. Smart and yet naive. He's young, but not stupid. Can't be trusted and yet... I can't sense anything wrong with his words.

"I don't need to. I can't believe a single word that comes out of your mouth."

Adrian shook his head, worried, then his eyes darted toward me, slightly hunching his back as if he had taken a position of submission.

"I'm sorry your highness, but it seems like your lover, Adriana, does not know of the past. Of course, you had every right to do as you pleased. How dare I question your ways? Ah, but I love my sister and care about her, therefore I want her to know of the man she's been sleeping with."

Such a disrespectful little brat.

I charged forwards and tried to strike him, but Adria punched him before I could even come close.

"My name isn't Adriana!"

Adriana

The princess snapped as if something within her had broken. I couldn't tell if she believed him or not, or perhaps she was trying to forget about the outstanding piece of information he had just given her.

Adrian tiptoed backward, trying to keep his balance as he rubbed his nose. He was bleeding.

"You're so strong. How impressive. Father would be proud."

He was almost speaking to himself in pure astonishment, then he beamed, a creepy wide smile emerging from that bloody face.

"I see. You don't believe a single thing I say. Well, then let me tell you about you. You're half Talokanil and nobody knew about it, and yet I did. Why? Because I am one as well. Because my mother told me about a daughter she had to give up for adoption—"

"Why? Why then did she give me up for adoption? If what I see in my dreams is correct, then why were we running away from my father?"

Adrian furrowed his eyebrows, serious, and looked at the floor as if he did not know anything about it.

"Mom was sick. And our dad... was an alcoholic, but he changed. He changed for the better and wants us to be a family again. Please, sister. Come with me."