Ch 18: Plan

~Shuri~

The king glared at me with a raised eyebrow. It had been a while since B'alam's existence was revealed to the council. The elders talked with M'Baku concerning our child and what his existence would mean to Wakanda; I knew what was coming.

"With the Feeshman? Really?"

He exclaimed, trying to lift the sour mood of the situation.

"It could have been worse."

"Out of all the men in Wakanda. Out of all the handsome, strong, and good men... you chose the mermaid."

"I didn't choose him. Namor and I are nothing."

"Well, that's about to change. The elders have discussed these matters and have come to a conclusion that marriage will appease everyone's concerns."

"Marriage?"

I stood from my spot and walked to my left, then right. M'Baku was probably watching me as if I had gone mad.

"With all due respect, my king, but I still haven't found my child and you want to talk about marriage?"

"Shuri. We will find your child but we also have to plan ahead of that. You are leaving tonight, yes?"

"Yes. Adria is ready."

"Once these matters are settled, you will be set to marry Namor. Our country cannot have a prince of two nations when the parents are not even tied by the law."

"Have you moved on? From my mother's death."

"We killed two of his people which by the way, he considered his children. We were all wrong from the very beginning. Isn't this how the story goes?"

"I... sometimes I forget and move on and sometimes I can't. I feel like I shouldn't move on."

"Your umama would have wanted you, Shuri, to move on. You are allowed to move on and do what's best for the country. Think about this marriage. Think about your dream of uniting Talokan and Wakanda. Think of all the possibilities."

"M'Baku... why do I have a feeling my son won't be safe in Wakanda?"

The king stared at me, his eyes cold and lips slightly parted. M'Baku was always so expressive, but at that moment I couldn't read his face, or perhaps I didn't want to.

"I would never let anything happen to the prince. Once I get my hands on that terminator guy, he will taste my fist."

"You might have to fight Namor on that one."

"Good. Now I will have a reason to beat him up too. Kill two birds with one shot."

"Yeah, right."

" Well, the time is almost up. Are the Midnight Angels ready?"

"Yes. Ayo will take charge again."

"Thank goodness. Couldn't stand that bald-headed demon."

Once our discussion was over, my way back to the lab was awfully long. It all felt as if time had stopped and couldn't focus on anything. By the time I had gotten to my lab, my stomach clenched in all sorts of knots, and felt like throwing up. I glanced ahead over to my station and saw Adria and Namor. Their body language said it all; there was something between them; A spark. A light in the midst of so much darkness. Namor never looked at me with those eyes, or perhaps I didn't notice. If someone could marry him, that would be my sister. She likes him and... it looks like it might be mutual. Ah, but Bast! Adria does not know what exactly happened to our mother.