Ch 11: Alike

~Adria~

It was raining when I felt my hand being pulled by someone. I raised my eyes and saw the back of a woman running through tall grass towards what seemed to be a little village. My legs felt like giving up, but she kept on pulling; both of us were panting and gasping for air in the middle of the night.

"Hurry up."

The woman said with difficulty; we weren't speaking English or Spanish, but I could understand her perfectly. The strong winds knocked off her rebozo and uncovered a perfectly clean shaved head. She readjusted it with her free hand and continued to pull from my hand through a hill. The world looked huge, and each step she took was too wide for me; I must have been a child.

"I'm tired."

I protested, unconsciously. It was as if I was looking at a movie of myself and had no control over my words and movements.

"Adria, don't you start with that. You will be okay."

"I don't like that name."

"That is your name."

We stopped and she looked at me. She furrowed her brows and wrinkled her nose as her hands took firmly took hold of my shoulders. There was a strange mask over her nose and mouth and yet I could identify her expressions as clear as day.

"I'm not Adria!"

I cried, feeling how tears had decided to combine with the droplets of rain which dribbled over my face.

"Please, listen to me. Your name from now on is Adria, like Adriana Caselotti. Remember? She sang like your favorite Disney Princess."

"Like Snow White."

"Yes! My ki'ichpan, don't you want to be like princess Snow White?"

Her hands moved from my shoulders to my face, caressing my skin with such tenderness I never felt before. My heart shattered in anguish without knowing why. She called me ki'ichpan; the word which always brings unknown pain to my soul.

"I want to be a princess too."

"Very well, then you will be princess Adria. Don't forget, yes? Now, quicken your feet, baby. We must get there before your dad finds us."

We continued to run through the field of tall grass and puddles of mud. The skies opened as if they had been slashed and a deluge befell over us. When I blinked, I saw the field flooded and when I least expected it, I was drowning. My body floated in a void of blue, unable to breathe, or so I thought. I took a breath of something which felt uncomfortable and yet made me feel as if air had filled my lungs. I looked beyond the surface and saw that cliff I once fell off when I was a teenager. A memory?

Someone pulled from my arm again, a similar pull I felt when I was running through the field, but it wasn't a woman.

"Child, are you okay?"

A man asked as I felt how he dragged me across the sand of a beach. I was half unconscious, unable to process what had happened. The sun threatened to enter through my half-closed eyelids.

"Open your eyes, you're safe."

When I opened my eyes I saw Namor shaking my shoulders.

"Namor..."

I babbled. What a messed up dream, I thought as I stared into the eyes of the beautiful man before me. Another dream? No... this is real. My vision cleared and was able to look at my surroundings, then realized we were floating in the middle of the ocean.