Ch 27: L.A.

~Namor~

An unprecedented event shifted our visit back home. My people wanted to see the prince and serve him as such, and I wanted Adria to see the wonders of her mother's kingdom, but we had other priorities.

The United States of America; is a country that has enslaved and destroyed people since its very beginning. The thought of setting foot on their soil disgusted me, but there was a mission ahead of us.

Vibranium had been stolen from Wakanda, but according to Adria, the source of Adrian's vibranium wasn't from Wakanda. It is impossible, I thought initially. Nobody comes in or out of Talokan, although there are exceptions. War or diplomacy. Regarding diplomacy, Namora and Attuma are my only companions... well, with the small exception of Itzamna who somehow disobeyed my orders. Only the strongest warriors are given the opportunity to defend their kingdom. Death sets them free from my command, although some have defied said orders involuntarily.

Some warriors have gone missing throughout time. There's a famous group of them; our people even made up ideas and stories of what happened. 'Six brave heroes went missing after fighting against military submarines, or did they escape?' They say. What they don't know is that although six went missing, a seventh went out to look for them and never came back.

He was a general, the highest at the time. Escaping isn't in our vocabulary. Someone or something must have taken them. The only way in and out of Talokan should be war and death, but sometimes those rules are bent and Adria is living proof of it.

______

We arrived in Los Angeles. Palm trees were everywhere, and the smell of cigarettes and trash combined with street food. I could not understand the gap between big and prestigious zones and unclean and torn-down places. Some people slept on the floor, begging for crumbs, while on the other side, there was a whole different world of vanity. I tried to keep dinner down as much as I could; the place was repulsive.

We were in a black vehicle, Adria by my side. Shuri and Aneka were in front and behind us; general Okoye was driving, or so I thought. It seemed like the vehicle was driving on its own.

"A mansion in Beverly Hills? And you never invited me over?"

Asked Adria, leaning forwards and across. Shuri smirked, looking from the rear mirror.

"I don't set foot in Los Angeles. It was a present from T'Challa. You know I got stuff to do in Oakland; what would I do in here?"

"Mkay. And yet you picked to stay in Yucatan instead of using one of your many houses."

"I needed a secluded place."

Shuri had given us special bandages that compressed our wings comfortably against our legs. Also, a technological device was placed on the edges of our ears to conceal the shape and make them look as if they were rounded ears.

There was a large white house sitting on a hill with a long and wide pathway made of rocks and marble from the street to the front yard. The house with its large windows and vines that hugged its walls, stood out from the rest as it gave a feeling of pride and power. This was the house of the princess of Wakanda. It had an architecture that matched her power and dignity. I was simply absorbed by it, intrigued by what it would look like on the inside.

People were already waiting for us when we got off the vehicle. They unloaded our luggage and showed us inside. The ceilings were as high as the sky, and despite the exquisite touches of ornaments, the decoration was kept minimalistic.

I stood before a mirror, taking in the new image that was bestowed upon me. Shuri had changed my style, my essence. The regal and noble clothing defined my status as king, but those had been stripped away. My earspools were exchanged for golden earrings and the necklaces diminished to a thin chain of gold. I wore orange trousers and a white open shirt. A golden watch on my wrist and a ring on my finger. My hair was combed back, slick, and always in place.