Ch 14: Ki'ichpan

~Okoye~

Training keeps the body and spirit strong, but everything in life needs balance. Rest and meditation are also part of it.

I sat in front of the ocean under a palm tree, with Attuma by my side. We had sparred earlier before breakfast, trying new skills.

"I think K'uk'ulkan might be angry."

Attuma muttered, sitting up straight.

"What a surprise."

"He seems different. I think he fought with the jaguar."

"Ah, funny isn't it?"

"You know something I don't, don't you?"

"Maybe. I won't tell."

"The great Okoye won't speak huh? Well, what will you do about it?"

"About those two? What could I possibly do about it? Bast, they fight like kids all the time. Day and night, arguing about the smallest thing. Uh-huh, I'm done with them."

"I think they—"

"I think you should think about us."

Attuma coughed, nodding as he crossed his legs. It was funny, he looked as if I would give him an order of some sort.

"Listen. I see your intentions. The gifts, the spending time together, and I think I'm way past the age of beating around the bush."

"Beating around the bush."

He repeated, and it seemed like the translator couldn't keep up with phrases like this one.

"Avoiding what's really important. That's what it is."

"I'm not avoiding anything. I simply want to capture your heart."

"And you did."

His eyes went big, and I could see the corners of his lips slightly rising. I scooted over, and I left my spear on the side. He took off his mask and parted his lips so slightly; handsome, strong, and masculine. Attuma was all of that, but most importantly, an honest and loyal warrior. He had begun courting me for years, and I naively waited for something formal, maybe an announcement that he would be my solemn partner, but the Talokanil commander never said a thing. He liked me, and I liked him too.

I leaned closer and we kissed. His hand grasped onto my chin, cupping the side of my face. His lips were soft but tasted like salt. It didn't bother me, the butterflies were consuming me as if I was back to being a teenager. Bast, I was so embarrassed by feeling like that, but Attuma made me feel young.

"Eh-hem."

We broke the kiss but didn't bother to move away from each other. There was no shame in what adults do during their off-duty moments.

"What a way to say good morning."

I replied to Nala.

"I apologize, general, and Attuma. It's just that the princess has this long list of supplies she needs from the nearby village."

"Yes. I understand."

Attuma placed his mask back on and stood up almost immediately.

"I will go with you. Who knows what dangers will be out there."

I laughed and pushed him from his shoulders to sit back down.

"You stay here. There are no dangers around here, except you."

"Me?"

He asked, looking almost insulted.

"Yes, you. A big and blue man casually strolling around the little villages? It will be the death of me, and anyone else who gets to see you. I will be on my way."