Ch 3: Thankful

~Adria~

"Princess Adria."

I'm not a princess; why am I being addressed like that?

There was a soft voice calling me, but couldn't decipher if it was a dream or not. He sounded oddly familiar and reminded me of the day I fell off a cliff into the ocean when I was thirteen; if it wasn't for that stranger, I would have been dead a long time ago.

I opened my eyes and found myself coughing and struggling to breathe. I was by the side of the pool, staring at the sky.

"I'm alive?"

I asked myself, not sure who had saved me since I was still too in shock to look around and check for myself.

"Yes, you're alive,"

A man answered.

I tilted my head to the side and found him inside the pool, carrying my glasses that had fallen and pair of slippers I tossed away.

"You saved me?"

I asked although it was obvious. I just couldn't believe it. I was sure of my death, and how it would all go down.

He sat by the edge of the pool and placed my belongings next to me. There was a large necklace covering part of his chest and a beautiful white cape that was attached to his golden shoulder armor. His regal facial characteristics looked oddly familiar, fascinating; like an ancient King. My eyes slid toward his torso; he was tall, strong, toned, and intimidating. His golden brown skin glowed as water dripped down his body. I almost choked on my saliva. He's beautiful.

I looked away after noticing his stare.

"Thank you."

I said after sitting up.

"Are you okay?"

He asked, his hand reaching closer to take a few strands of hair off my face. I held my breath; he sounded so concerned.

"I'm okay."

"You should learn how to swim."

He had an accent that made his words flow smoothly; he was still oddly familiar.

"I should. I'm just too scared."

"Of what?"

"Water. It's scary."

"There's nothing to be scared of."

He said, his voice so soft it almost convinced me on the spot.

He stood up and held his hand for me to stand. I looked at his feet and found myself dwelling on the wings he had. Wings on his ankles? What kind of man is he?

I took his hand and with a swift pull, I was back on my feet. I felt dizzy so I stumbled a little, maybe it was the lack of oxygen or just the shock. He was fast, grabbing me by the waist and pulling me closer to him.

"Careful. You don't want to slip again."

His hot breath against my cheek had a faint smell of mango; so sweet. Okay, Adria. He's hot, so what? Stand up and don't act stupid. I had a headache but felt just fine. I barely swallowed any water.

Without glasses, I'm a lost cause but seeing him up close made me see his pointy ears and deep chocolate eyes that were digging through mine.

"Right. I will be careful."

"Adria!"

Shuri called me. She looked distressed.

"Oh hey—"