Regret - Epilogue (alternate version)

Mumbo

I let out a quiet hum, making my way slowly over to the portal. I'd been away for so long, it was finally time to join back. I allowed myself a small smile. I couldn't wait to see Scar and Grian. I wondered if they'd missed me too much.

I pressed my hand against the shimmery portal, pushing it inside. The familiar sickening feeling hit me as I was transported to the Hermitcraft server. But the sickness didn't surpass my nervous excitement. I took a deep breath of fresh air as the world loaded in around me. I glanced down at my communicator with a grin.

Mumbo joined the game

But then I glanced up, reading the previous notifications. A frown spread across my face.

Zedaph was slain by Fwip

Bdoubleo100 died

FalseSymmetryYT was slain by GeminiTay

GeminiTay died

Goodtimeswithscar was slain by VintageBeef

Etho died

Xisuma was slain by ᑑᔑ

Inthelittlewood was slain by Renthedog

More and more names and death messages filled the chat. I didn't think there was a single person that hadn't died. Had there been some kind of pvp event? But then I looked up. I let out a cry of shock as I saw the blood slick battlefield, littered with dead bodies.

"What the hell happened here?" I shouted, an intense feeling of needing to vomit filling me. I looked further away, spotting two figures standing in the midst of the graveyard. One looked to be Ren, and the other I didn't recognise. Whoever they were, they were very tall and had large wings that sprouted from their back.

"Ren?" I called, slowly making my way over. Ren seemed to be holding something. Something round and about the size of a watermelon. I let out a gasp as Ren dropped it and it rolled towards me. It was Martyn's severed head. He was covered in blood and his blue eyes were glazed over with the film of death.

"Was there some kind of pvp event?" I glanced around in confusion, "why hasn't anyone respawned?"

"Oh Mumbo, you've joined us at the perfect time" Ren grinned, his face slick with blood, "no one will be respawning".

"What?" I took a step back, "Ren, who is that and what did you do?"

"There's no need to explain anything" they hissed, "you won't remember a thing".

Huh?" I felt paralysed in place as they approached me, "what are you doing?"

"Nothing" they said innocently. They clasped their hands on each side of my face.

"Goodbye, Mumbo Jumbo" Ren said solemnly, "this was fun while it lasted but you must join them too".

Before I could react, it was too late. The taller person suddenly twisted my head, snapping my neck before wrenching my head clean off. My body fell to the ground with a a sickening thud. For the few seconds I was still conscious, I could do nothing but watch as my head was dropped to the ground.

And then I was gone.

Ren

I watched Mumbo's body flop to the ground, a grin of delight on my face. All of them, every single one of them was dead. Except Grian and Cleo of course, but I didn't particularly care about them.

"We did it Rendog" Aiqaz smirked, "we defeated them all".

"We did indeed" I gave a harsh kick to Martyn's head which lay on the ground, "those who betrayed us have been correctly punished". The affection and care I once felt for Martyn was as gone as his life. I felt nothing.