Dance

Martyn

I heard the crossbow pull back and the rocket fire. I barely ducked out of the way in time as it sailed past my ear. The rocket continued on before hitting the ground and exploding. Careful not to stand on Grian, I spun around. My heart dropped.

Ren. It was Ren who had shot at me.

I quickly raised my shield as Ren fired another rocket at me. The rocket collided with my shield and the impact knocked me backwards.

"You need to get Grian up" Xisuma was suddenly there, "I'll do my best to shield you". I nodded, turning to my fallen friend. Grian let out a soft groan as he tried to move his arms.

"Cmon, you have to get up and fight" I pleaded, "we can't do this without you".

"You think I'm not trying?" Grian coughed, glaring up at me, "I'm in so much pain I wish I was dead. Go to Ren, I can get myself up".

"Go to Ren?" I felt confused.

"Kill him, talk sense into him, I don't care" Grian spat, "just make him not a threat".

Kill him? I knew I couldn't do that. I knew my heart wouldn't let me, even if my head was screaming yes. With a sigh, I stood up. I realised Ren and Aiqaz had ganged up on Xisuma and were batting him around like a toy. I sprinted forward, leaping in front of Xisuma just as Ren was about to strike him with his axe.

"Martyn?" Ren's ears shot forward in surprise, "get out of the way".

"No" I shook my head, "how about you put your weapon down".

"Absolutely not" his ears flattened, "I don't want to hurt you. Step away from him and we can work this out".

"Xisuma, go help Grian" I quickly helped him to his feet, "I can handle this". Xisuma nodded, darting off.

"Ren, what are you doing?" I stared him in the eye, "this isn't you".

"This is me now. I've changed" Ren snarled, "haven't you learnt that yet?"

"I didn't want this to be a lesson" I murmured, "I wanted this to be love". Before Ren could reply, Aiqaz stepped forward.

"Quit your blabbering and get out of the way" they hissed, "at this moment you are still valuable. We could do great things together".

"Never" I spat, "never again. I will end this so you can't hurt anyone else".

"You know you can't kill us" Aiqaz sneered, "and you're too pathetic to even consider killing Rendog".

"What we once had is over, Martyn" Ren growled, "get over it".

"I miss you Ren" I stared him in the eye, "but everytime time I do, I remember how much you don't".

"That isn't my problem" Ren narrowed his eyes, "I gave you every chance to join me. We could've done great things together and you just threw it all away".

"I did what was right" I spat, "I can't support you when you're trying to hurt our friends".

"You were happy to support me in Third Life" Ren laughed, "I was killing people then, wasn't I?"

"But that's different!" I muttered, "the whole point was to kill people, and there was no risk of permadeath".

"I know your problem" Ren strode forward, thrusting his face in mine, "you're weak. You don't have the guts to do what needs to be done. You're too much of a coward". I swallowed, avoiding Ren's gaze.

"You're right" I whispered, "I am a coward. I take the easy route. I do stuff so it suits me. My friends were in danger and I was too scared to help".

"I don't know why we ever chose you" Aiqaz sniffed, "an error on our part. We believed you would mature to be brave and worthy. How sorely wrong we were". I let out a sigh, lowering my head. Ren towered over me, standing in a threatening stance.