Chapter 17: Summer

Weeks after leaving Vegas, Moses is looking out the window, before he bumps into Margaret, who gives him a look. Margaret then walks by before Moses turns and speaks again.

Moses: Margaret.....

Margaret stops and turns.

Moses: Your brother.....he protected me. He saved my life. I'll never forget that....but I keep thinking...that I should be dead....

Margaret: You're right....you should be dead....or maybe you just got lucky.....you won't die, then....but sooner or later, you will die.....eventually we all die in the end....Don't think too much on death....think about how grateful you should be we took an outsider like you with us.

Margaret walks away with Moses pondering, before Rachel approaches him.

Rachel: Hey....

Moses: Hey....

Rachel: You adjusting to the train?

Moses: Uh....yeah...first time on it, actually....the room I'm sleeping in....it belonged to Marcus, didn't it?

Rachel sighs.

Rachel: We're all grateful to have you, you know? Look, don't think about your time with the Ravagers, okay? If you ever need anything, we're here. You're one of our people now. You're family.

Moses sighs and nods in appreciation of Rachel's compassion.

Moses: Thank you, Rachel.

In their room, James and Cassandra are laying on the couch together as Cassandra examines her engagement ring.

Cassandra: I still can't believe you went through all the trouble to finally make an effort.

James: I'm sorry it took so long.

Cassandra: Yeah, like twelve years too long....you know, James, I've been looking at Kyle and Sarah, you and me...and thinking of how lucky we are! It's been different with other couples.

James: Yeah.....Margaret hasn't really been the same since Joseph.

Cassandra: Yeah...and now Marcus....

James: Yeah....

Cassandra sighs.

Cassandra: He was a strong survivor.

James: Brave. Not afraid of anything. During the Krens wars, he was called the "Famous Krens Killer".

Cassandra: He died saving Moses.....God, those fucking twins....taking people and enslaving them. Turning women, their own kind, into prostitutes just to keep the men aroused. God, this world has created such horrible monsters.

James: It really has....

Cassandra: You know; you were right.....I wasn't the same after Lynn.....I was so lost....I part of me wanted to die....just wishing that it was quick....a bullet to the head....I just wouldn't see it coming. Then I'd wake up and be with Maya, Blake and my parents.

James: You know; I thought the same thing, too....after Uncle Colin, after Dad.....but then I found you....

Cassandra smiles.

James: What? What are you smiling about?

Cassandra: My mom always talked about whenever I would get married, we would talk about a fantasy we want to live out.

James: Like a sexual fantasy? Cause we've had plenty of those.

Cassandra playfully swats James' arm.

Cassandra: No, you jackass. I mean, a fantasy. A dream. What's yours?