Chapter 20: Fall

Weeks later, James is looking down in guilt as Cassandra walks into the room.

Cassandra: James.....James....

James raises his head.

James: What?

Cassandra: Are you okay?

James: So much has happened....on the road....we've lost Joseph.....and Marcus.....all because of my stupid dream of living out here....and now....now we're about to lose Sarah.....she's going to die because of me.

Cassandra: James....

Cassandra sits down, taking James' hand.

James: She's one of my closest friends....and....I just....goddammit...I just wish there was more I could do to stop this pain for Kyle....for myself....Kyle, he's lost everyone he's ever loved....Jake....his Dad....his daughter...and now he's about to lose his wife.

Cassandra: James, stop.....we're going to save her.

James scoffs.

James: Do you believe that? Do you really believe that?

Cassandra looks down, unable to think of answer. She instead rests her head on James's shoulder. In their quarters, Sarah is looking at a picture of a community house with Kyle sitting by her side. Sarah then coughs and looks at Kyle. Sarah's condition has worsened.

Sarah: Kyle...you know, when I found this photo of a community house, I just knew for some reason that we were going to there in the end....

Sarah then looks at another photo, then gives a contemplating look.

Sarah: All these stupid rivers, mountains, deserts....they just won't do. It's community, house or nothing!

Sarah then grabs the edges of the table.

Sarah: I thought we were going to make it.

Sarah coughs, then Kyle puts his hands around her shoulders, comforting her.

Kyle: Hey....hey....it's going to be okay.

Sarah laughs.

Sarah: Kyle....I will get there....and if I need some help, you're going to be there, aren't you?...You'll save me again?

Kyle: I....

Tears form in Kyle's eyes.

Kyle: I don't know....

Sarah: Kyle, please....don't do this to yourself....it hurts so much to look in your eyes....you and everyone else, too....if this is my time......then it is.....I always wondered how it would be with this dangerous world we live in.....how I could be with my family again....my mom...my Dad.....Nathan....Ashley....Rose....

Kyle: Sarah....just....please....please....hold on....without you, I have nothing....I'm nothing....I know you're going to pull through this. You're going to be okay.....It's not just me, but all of us....you can't do this to us....think of Rachel....think of her.....she looks up to you.....when we first met her, you bonded with her faster than I did....you convinced me not to give her back to her father....and me....I thought I was going to lose you when you left, but then you came back....Please.....I can't live this world without you....Please...

Sarah laughs.

Sarah: Did you write that on a note?

Sarah coughs, rapidly. Rachel, next door listening and in tears, stands up, grabbing Kayla.

Rachel: Kayla! Please! Get in there! I can't listen to this anymore! Please!

Kayla rushes into Kyle and Sarah's quarters.