Chapter 5: The Frozen Bayou

Weeks later, March 2042, Last Day of Winter, South

The Myrmidon is entering the premises of the wintery bayou. Kyle is sitting at the front of the train looking out when Sarah approaches him with a canteen.

Sarah: Freezing your ass off out here?

Kyle laughs.

Kyle: Not even remotely close.

Sarah hands Kyle the canteen as he drinks from it.

Kyle: Mmm.....hot tea.

Sarah: Just made fresh by Rocky.

Sarah leans on the railing.

Sarah: So, what do you think our chances of getting to restoration place are? It's the only thing on everyone's mind....you know?

Kyle: How are we going to build a life out here? If there's even a life to build....

Sarah: There could be.....for all of us....it can't be just trying to survive out here anymore, Kyle. There has to be more.

Kyle: I want to believe that.

Sarah: Kyle, when I look out at this fog....thinking it could actually be hiding a new life from us...By the way, we should be approaching the bridge soon.

Up ahead, inhabitants of a bayou area, using a campfire, spot the train and sound the alarm.

Sarah: Oh, shit!

Kyle: That's not good!

Sarah turns to the train bridge and shouts out.

Sarah: Guys! There's people on the bridge! Hit the brakes!

Kyle: Sound the alarm!

The inhabitants open fire as Kyle takes cover.

Kyle: Fuck!

James: Oh, shit!

James hits the brakes, stopping the train as the inhabitants use a trolley to escape as the train plows through the barricade into their camp. Kyle pops out from cover and aims his rifle just as Shawn and Rocky approach the front of the train.

Shawn: Shots fired! Four hostiles on the trolley.

Rocky turns to Kyle.

Rocky: You good, brother?

Kyle: Yeah.....everyone to the bridge! Now!

Kyle, Rocky and Shawn return to the bridge just as everyone else does.

Rachel: Is everyone okay?!

Sarah: Yeah, we're fine.

James is below the train bridge, attempting to fix the repairs.

James: Fuck!....That shot pierced the cylinder!

Joseph: How bad is it? Can we move?!

James: No, we're stuck!

Shawn: Fuck!

Kyle: Goddammit!

Cassandra: Stupid fog! Looks we ran through someone's roadblock!

Margaret: Who was it?

Shawn: Looks like just regular survivors. They were wearing rags.

Sarah: Just old fucks.

Kyle: Old fucks or not...that's just the perimeter guard! They could've put anyone there, even women and children!

Marcus: You think these people might be associated with the restoration community?