Forty-seven

Of course, it's pouring rain when I touch down in London, the wind fierce enough that not even an umbrella can keep me dry. My converse are soaked as I drag my carry-on suitcase through the puddles, my cardigan doing nothing to protect me against the chill in the air. I'd packed poorly, throwing random items of clothing in my bag, not caring whether they matched or were warm enough for chilly London weather.

All I cared about was Jamie.

Looking down at my phone, my brows furrow as I try to determine if my GPS is leading me astray. I was going to message one of Jamie's friends for his flat address, but Lilly had it from the time she sent him a Christmas card. His neighbourhood wasn't like I imagined it to be, with cobblestone roads and pastel-painted houses.

It looked like something out of a movie; last I heard, Jamie lived in a small flat in the center of the city. He'd always told me it was small and in a somewhat sketchy area, claiming that he'd move if I ever decided to join him out here.

This has to be the wrong place; he'd never mentioned moving to me.

Just as I'm about to text someone to confirm this, something draws my attention away from my phone in the form of a large car speeding past, straight through a puddle. I cringe as the cold water splashes me, making me even more wet than I already was.

"Are you fucking kidding me?" I say to no one in particular, running my fingers through my rain-soaked hair, my fingers tugging at knots. I'm freezing cold, soaking wet, and I'm pretty sure lost... could this get any worse?

The universe must be out to get me because just as I think this, someone says my name, "Eden?" Their voice is almost muffled by the rain, so quiet I begin to believe I'm hearing things too caught up in finding Jamie.

I pause for a moment, waiting for the voice to speak again... but they don't.

Footsteps behind me grow louder as I walk, boots smacking against the pavement. I almost begin to quicken my pace, longing to get away from whoever it may be, when their voice calls out again, confirming I hadn't been hearing things.

"Trouble?"

His accent was clear now, easy to hear despite the rain. My Converse squeak against the cobblestones as I come to a halt, my breath caught in my throat. Before I can turn around, a hand finds its home on my waist, tugging me to turn around and face him, "what the hell are you doing here?" He asks me, laughing.

He smiles, and sparks fly through me, a shot of electricity that only Jamie brings on, "I was trying to surprise you."

Jamie's curls are sticking to his forehead, raindrops splattered across his baby blue sweatshirt, the grey skies making his blue eyes brighter, more captivating than they already are, "knowing where I live would probably be helpful," he teases, laughing again before tugging me into his arms.

Jamie doesn't seem to mind that I'm drenched in rainwater, hugging my freezing cold frame against his much warmer one, "how'd you find me?" I ask, voice muffled by his sweater, my face hiding in his shoulder.

"I opened my door to check for mail and heard you swearing," he laughs, chest vibrating against me. Jamie's hands run up my arms once he lets me go slightly, stepping back to take me in. I'm sure I look ridiculous, the makeup I'd put on at the airport smudged, my hair messy and frizzy. "What're you doing here, Eden?"

Despite all this, Jamie just smiles, his thumb moving to wipe at the remnants of mascara below my eyes, "I missed you," I admit quietly, leaning into his warm touch, longing for it to linger all over my body.