Fifteen

"Can you just tell me where you're taking me?" I ask with a sigh as Jack guides me forward, hand on the small of my back as I walk to who knows where with a blindfold covering my eyes. When I woke up this morning, Trinity, Bailey and Lilly were quick to whisk me away to breakfast, followed by manicures and now, Jack's blindly guiding me to my final surprise for the day. I hadn't seen Jamie once today, despite his claim that he'd be "all mine" today, and it was hard not to be a little hurt over it. He'd spent all of last night with Lilly, all of which she'd told me during breakfast this morning, something Trinity and Bailey were quick to turn around, changing the conversation before it could go on any further.

    "Where's the fun in that?" Jack chuckles, hand tapping my back lightly as he instructs, "step," guiding me up a stair. We're outside, the warm California air blowing past us lightly, lifting my hair up behind me, ticking my bare shoulders, "okay, just a few more steps, then we're there." We walk up more stairs until Jack finally says, "we're here." 

    I slowly take the eye mask off, eyes taking a minute to adjust to the light. Once I do, I'm greeted with dozens of smiling faces. The entire cast is here, even Sam, Zoe, Kate and Sigourney; all are standing around with bright smiles as they yell. "Happy Birthday, Eden!"

    "What is all this?" I gasp, looking around. We're at a private rooftop bar, far fancier than any other restaurant I'd ever spent my birthday at; along the wall, bottles of wine are lined up, and a long table to seat us all. The view is of the ocean, the sun hanging low in the sky, golden hour. "This is too much," I'm quick to shake my head, still smiling as Bailey, Trinity, and Britain approach me. There's a girl on his arm, one I recognize as his girlfriend none of us have met yet.

    "Absolutely not," Bailey hugs me, squeezing me like she hadn't seen me all day. She's changed from the jeans and t-shirt she wore earlier into a dress, one that suited a restaurant as fancy as this. "You deserve it, E."

    Trinity hugs me next, then Britain, who whispers a quick "happy birthday, E." into my ear before turning me to face the beautiful red-headed girl ahead of me. She looks nervous, hands wringing together, clearly overwhelmed over the number of people here. "Eden, this is Anna, my girlfriend."

    "Hi," I reach over to hug her, happy when she hugs me back, also a hugger like myself, "it's so great to finally meet you."

    "You too," her voice is as beautiful as she is, quiet and sincere, delicate like a flower. "Happy Birthday."

    It's a whirlwind of hugs and birthday greetings for a bit as I'm whisked around the room, from person to person, everyone smiling brightly at me as they pull me into their arms. This is crazy, I think, as James Cameron himself kisses the top of my head, like I was one of the young members themselves, who he'd grown quite fond of over the past few years.

    I can't help but let my eyes search the room for a familiar pair of blue eyes, frowning when I notice he's not here... neither is the blonde who I'd spent most of the morning with. It could just be a coincidence. I try reassuring myself as the other young actors find me again, my mind trying to stay on track with our conversation, constantly wandering to Jamie.

     It seems that's all my mind can do lately.

    "Sorry, we're late," when his familiar accent calls out amongst the people, I immediately turn on my heel, eyes finding his without any complication, relief flooding through me. He's smirking, the familiar sight that always makes my gaze linger for longer than it should, wishing he'd greet me by placing his against mine. "Happy Birthday, Trouble."

    His leisurely steps quicken as soon as our gaze connect, my feet quickly moving despite the heels pinching my toes, longing to get to him, "I thought you weren't gonna show," I admit, when his hands find my waist, wrapping me in him as mine wrap around his shoulders, face tucked in the crook of his neck.