Five

I've never really considered myself a city girl. I liked the familiarity of small towns, the quaintness that made everything feel peaceful and stress-free. While Trinity was born to go big places, I always imagined I'd wind up in some small town where everyone knows everyone, and nothing ever changes; but the more I walked around London, the harder I fell for the city, eyes wide as I take it all in.

    Despite all being completely exhausted, we decided to push through the jetlag, taking advantage of our day off in the city and longing to explore. Jamie had quickly taken the role of tour guide upon himself, eager to show us around his home city, taking us to all of his favourite places and some touristy things as well.

   "Smile," Jamie calls out from behind me. I turn to look back at him, confused, as a camera shutter, taking my photo. Lowering the camera, Jamie looks it over, a smile tugging at his lips, "this one's definitely a keeper." He finally nods, looking up at me, blue eyes bright.

    It's a cloudy day in London, the sky a dark shade of grey, the weather much colder than I'm used to. I've got a massive coat on over my sweater and leggings; a hat pulled over my ears. I'm sure I looked absolutely ridiculous in that photo, more confused than anything, "let me see." I step closer to him.

    Stepping back, Jamie shakes his head, holding the camera close to him. "No way."

    "C'mon, J," I plead, pouting, "I'm not gonna delete it. I just wanna see."

     Jamie shakes his head again, his eyes flickering from my pout back to my eyes, an amused smile dancing across his face as he laughs, "you definitely will. I know you, trouble."

    My fake pout falls as his words hit me. It sometimes shocked me how well Jamie knew me... how much he paid attention to even the most minor details. He knows I hate having my photo taken. It's why he always takes it without me realizing... that way, I can't say no. Before I can reply to him, Lilly chimes in, "we should take some group photos?" She suggests excitedly. She's wearing a light pink coat that makes her blonde hair look even more striking than it already is, hair pulled up into a slicked-high ponytail.

    Shockingly, the area around us was almost empty, though no one wanted to be out on this cold and wet day. "That's a great idea," Jamie nods, his cheeks blotched with red from the cold.

    "Girls first?" Jack suggests, nodding for us to stand closer to the bridge behind us, which is facing Big Ben. Bailey, Trinity, Lilly and myself all squish together, my little sister interlocking her hand with mine. Jamie captures it, and Jack is quick to run into the photo, happily squeezing in beside me. He tickles my side, and my smile quickly turns into laughter, something Jamie quickly captures, his camera shuttering.

    "Would you like to get in, dear?" An older woman with an English accent questions. She's plump and rosy-cheeked, wearing a pastel blue coat that makes her eyes pop against her pale skin.

    I watch as Jamie hesitates, slightly nervous about giving his precious camera to some random older woman. He wouldn't even let any of us touch it, let alone a stranger. Before he can come up with an answer, Lilly responds. "That'd be great," she says on Jamie's behalf, smiling as he gestures to the empty space next to her, "come on, J."

    His eyes connect with mine the second I search for his, both a little surprised. No one else ever called him J. It felt personal, like something that belonged to just the two of us. "U-uh," he stutters, eyes flickering from me to Lilly, blushing, "yeah, right."

    He passes the camera to the older woman, quickly instructing what button to press before moving to stand at Lilly's side. I can't help but look over as he wraps his arm around her waist, her moving closer to him. As if he can sense my discomfort, Jack leans his head on top of mine, breaking my attention off of Jamie and Lilly as the older woman holds the camera up. She takes a few photo's just to be sure, the camera shuttering loudly.