Six

The city is still asleep when I walk out of the hotel, tugging my jacket across my chest as the chilly breeze greets me. It's far too early to be awake, the sun just barely peeking through the clouds, accompanied by shades of pink, purple and orange that look more like a watercolour painting than real life. Today's day one of London press, and Trinity's schedule is jam-packed, filled with press junkets and photo ops that'd take up almost the entirety of the day. She's still asleep, and her makeup team is not arriving for another hour, but I couldn't lay there any longer, desperate to get up and stretch my legs.

    As soon as I enter the coffee shop on the corner of the street, the smell of coffee floods my senses, waking me up slightly. I quickly order a latte off the menu, taking a seat by the window that looks onto the street, which is surprisingly peaceful. "Eden?" I look away from the street, brown eyes connecting with a familiar pair of blue. "What are you doing up so early?"

    Jamie sits down at my table, not bothering to order yet, "I could ask you the same thing."

    "Couldn't sleep," he shrugs, taking his coat off. He's wearing a navy-blue sweater underneath, one that makes his eyes look even more blue, something I never thought possible.

    "Nervous about today?" I question, taking a sip of my latte.

     Jamie sighs, running his fingers through his hair. He's not wearing any of his rings yet, and it's odd seeing his hands so bare, "a bit, yeah." He quirks his brow at me, "now, why are you here?"

    "Just wanted to get out," I shrug, gaze glancing back out the window. I'd woken up and probably could have gone back to sleep, but I longed to explore more, even if it meant just sitting in a coffee shop and people-watching. "You were right about London," I admit. He'd hyped the city up on the flight, claiming I'd fall in love with it, even though I've never been a city girl. "It's kind of the best. I wish we were here longer."

    The side of Jamie's lip tugs into a half-smile, "well, you'll just have to come back." He shrugs, stating it like the answer to my problem is obvious. He rests his elbow on the table, not breaking eye contact with me as he continues speaking. "There'll be no press or rushing. Me and you, Trouble. I'll show you all of my favourite places."

   "I'd love that." I don't hesitate to nod, smiling back at him.

     "Me too."

     Silence falls over us for a moment, and my mind wanders, a daydream taking me away as I get lost in the blue of Jamie's eyes. Sometimes, it's hard to imagine Jamie and I being close once this is all over... He's going to make it big and be known all over the world, adored by millions. He'll be able to date any girl he wants, and it's hard to imagine he'd pick me... I'm gonna go on to get a job somewhere back home, and he'll probably move past our friendship.

    But right now, I picture what it'd be like if that didn't happen. I'd come to visit him in London, and he'd take me to all of his favourite places, the one's that you'd never find on a tourist map. He'd introduce me to his friends and his family... And we'd stay close, maybe even become closer than we already are.

    Okay, so the last part sounds a bit ridiculous... but a girl can dream.

     "I'm gonna get a coffee," Jamie stands, breaking our silence, "you want anything?"

     I hold up my coffee, shaking my head, "I'm all good."

     He walks over to the counter, and I'm left alone in my thoughts once more. We could never work; Jamie sees me as his friend, and I need to be okay with that.... it's better than nothing. And there's Lilly, the beyond gorgeous and kind actress who'd asked me to see how he feels about her... I've never been able to clearly picture myself with Jamie, but I can picture him with her.

    I'm so lost in my thoughts I don't notice Jamie sit back down across from me until he's slid something in front of me, "I know you said you didn't want anything, but..." He slides a cookie in front of me.

    "Breakfast of champions," I chuckle, breaking it in half and sliding the other part back over to him. I've always had a sweet tooth, constantly bringing baked goods with me to set whenever I visited Trinity. "Thank you."

    Jamie nods, brows furrowed, "you seemed lost in thought there. You okay?"

    "Yeah," I nod, quickly smiling at him reassuringly. "Just daydreaming, you know me."

     Jamie takes a sip of his coffee, "what's going on up there, trouble?" He asks, nodding for me to go on.

     Alright... here goes nothing, I guess. "I was thinking about Lilly, actually."      

     Jamie quirks his brow, confused, "Lilly?" 

     "Yeah, um," I fidget with my rings, hands under the table. I don't know how to say this. Do I play it cool and subtly bring it up? Do I just say it with no hesitation? All I know is if I don't ask him now, she'll keep bringing it up until I do. "What do you think about her?"

    I can't read Jamie. He seems both confused and hurt, though I'm not sure why he'd be the latter. "What do I think about, Lilly?" I nod, and despite knowing me and him is never going to happen, I cross my fingers under the table, hopeful he'll say otherwise. "She's cool..." he shrugs unsurely, "a good friend."

    "Right, friend." I nod. The longer this conversation goes on, the more I hate it. I easily could have told Lilly he didn't feel the same and avoided this whole mess, but I couldn't do that to her; she's my friend. "So, you've never..." I stutter over my words, hesitating, "liked her, or anything?"

    His confused expression falls, grey clouding over the familiar blue that I love so dearly, "did she ask you to ask me this?"

    "Sort of," I shrug, like it's not a huge deal, but it is. I want Jamie to deny it with full confidence, but he seems conflicted, which only makes my heart ache. "I don't think you're supposed to know she talked to me about you. Girl code and all, you know?"

    "Not really," he awkwardly chuckles, accent thick as he runs his fingers through his hair. I can't quite tell what he's thinking, but I can sense that he's uncomfortable, though, over what I don't know. Does he not like her and find the assumption odd? Or does he feel the same and feel awkward that I've caught on? I can't help but selfishly hope for the latter of the two. "So, she asked you to... help set us up?"

    "Funny, right?" I try lightening the mood, a teasing smile on my lips as I nudge his leg with the toe of my boot. "Me, a matchmaker? We all know my love life isn't one to write home about."

    Jamie doesn't laugh. I think his head is spinning, wrapping around the idea of him and Lilly dating. "Do you think we'd be good together?"

    I think on paper, yes. Jamie is the classic leading man, charming and handsome, with an accent that makes you wish he'd never stop talking, and Lilly is the kind of girl that you can't help but envy; not only is she drop-dead gorgeous, but she's got a heart of gold; you can't help but love Lilly. But Jamie's also different than she is. She's bubbly and extroverted, constantly craving attention and to be around others... He's awkward and shy, preferring a night in much more than a night out. He's never really cared much for what other people think of him, something I've always admired.

    "If you're both happy, then, yeah..." I drag off, trying not to sound hurt, "why not."

    Jamie thinks over my words, and I wish I could rewind time and take them all back. In fact, I wish when Lilly asked me; I'd told her to ask him herself... It would have been so much easier. I think Jamie is going to say something else on the topic, but he shakes his head, brushing it off as he changes the conversation. "You know what makes me happy?" I hum, nodding for him to go on, "this city." He stands up, grabbing his coat, "wanna go on a walk, Trouble?"

    He's avoiding the conversation, and I wish I could tell why. Was he deflecting cause he does or doesn't like her? I suppose only time will tell... "Sure," I say, putting the conversation behind us. I'd done what Lilly asked, it's all up to him now and as selfish as it sounds; I can't help but hope Jamie doesn't do anything about it.

Ahhh I lowkey love this chapter so much!!!