Thirty-six

Present

    "Jamie," I force what I hope is a nonchalant smile on my lips as I turn to face him, squeezing Mason's hand tightly. Jamie's eyes are wide in shock like he's seen a ghost. He's wearing a white button-up, the top few buttons undone, giving me a glimpse at his chest. His hair is messily styled in a sexy way that I'm sure is purposeful. I wish I could say he looks bad or got ugly over the past year or so that it's been since we've seen one another, but he looks perfect.

    Somehow, that makes this all so much worse.

     "Hey," He greets me, breathless, unsure of what to say, "what are you doing here?"

      He sounds so nervous, his voice shaking as his blue eyes stare into mine. I can't read him, not like I used to. Mason squeezes my hand in his, once, twice, three times, silently telling me I've got this. Just be cool, Eden. I mentally tell myself, forcing a casual smile onto my face. It's only a big deal if you make it one.

    "Supporting my sister?" My statement comes out as more of a question, confused. I can see the wheels turning in Jamie's mind, shocked. Unlike him, I'd had days to prepare myself for this moment, knowing I'd have to put on an act. Jamie, on the other hand, didn't have the time in advance, and it was showing.

    "Right, no, of course," He nods, tugging at his hair, "I, uh, just didn't think you'd show. You're so busy."

    "It was a last-minute decision," I say, my gaze moving from him over to the girl beside him. She's beautiful with long curly hair and caramel-coloured skin, a dusting of freckles across her nose. "Hi, I'm Eden."

    I hold out the hand that's not gripping Mason's for dear life out to the girl, mentally praying I look calmer than I actually feel in this moment. "Anna." she shakes my hand, "I know who you are," she admits with an awkward laugh, "I love your music."

    "Oh," my gaze flickers over to Jamie, who's watching me intently. I can tell his mind is racing, and I'm so curious as to what he's thinking. Still, I don't let my curiosity show on my face, playing it cool like Mason told me to, "Thank you, that's sweet." I have to take in a breath before addressing Jamie again, ignoring my rapidly beating heart, "Jamie, have you met Mason?"

    I've never been more grateful for Mason in my life. If I were alone right now, I'd look pathetic at this event alone while Jamie shows up with this beautiful girl on his arm. Mason puts on a charming smile as he holds his hand out to Jamie, "we haven't," he answers my question before Jamie can answer, "Nice to meet you, man. I've heard a lot about you."

    I can tell by the smirk on his face he's been planning that one for a while. He shakes Anna's hand, too, before returning to my side, throwing his arm over my shoulder. "Are you two..." Jamie can't even finish his sentence, unable to look at me.

    "Dating?" Mason laughs, and I can't help but crack a smile at the thought. Mason is like my brother at this point, much like Jack, the thought of being with him is not only super weird but also kind of gross. "No, we're just good friends."

     Would it matter if we were? I want to ask, having to bite my tongue to keep the words from spilling out. Jamie's clearly moved on... so why does he seem so bothered right now?

    "Jamie, we're ready for you," The event coordinator says our name, breaking up our conversation without a care. If Jamie hears her, he doesn't respond, lost in his thoughts.

    Anna nudges Jamie, her eyes darting between him and I. If she knows who I am, then she must know about our relationship. My entire first album was about our relationship... and the second was full of breakup songs I'd written in my darkest moments when I had so much on my mind and no way of comprehending my feelings. "J, they're ready for us."