Eleven

The California sun warms my skin as I walk onto the beach. The heat of the sand still felt, even with my flip-flops on. Unlike my sister, I've never been much of a beach person; for starters, I was allergic to the ocean water, always coming out with a rash across my skin, irritated and itchy, the sun only making it worse. Whenever we'd go to the beach as kids, mom, dad and Trinity would run into the water right away, eager for relief from the sun, and I'd set up camp on the sand, under an umbrella, book in hand.

    "There they are," someone calls out as my sister, and I approach, her eagerly running ahead, flip flops in hand, feet somehow immune to the heat beneath her feet. Bailey's sitting on a blanket, an emerald green bathing suit top making her eyes brighter, squinting slightly as she smiles at us, hand covering the sun.

    My eyes immediately latch onto Jamie, who's holding his camera, capturing the waves from afar, eyes squinting slightly as he focuses. I can't help but notice how close he and Lilly are sitting, her practically leaning on him, using the reason of wanting to see his photos to get close to him. I had to admire her confidence; I'd never be able to be this bold.

    "Hi, everyone," Trinity grins, plopping down beside Bailey. Today's our first official day in Los Angeles, and the cast's day off before press tomorrow.

    I set my tote bag on the blanket as I sit down, unable to ignore the way Jamie looks over his shoulder at me, blue eyes piercing, the sky and water nearby making them look brighter than normal, something I never thought possible. "Good morning," he nods, looking at me in a way I can't quite figure out, eyes almost wistful, longing for something.

    I wish he'd tell me what. Was he longing for the awkwardness between us to break? Longing to tell me what was going on in his head nearly as much as I longed for him to tell me, even if it'll break my heart. I've been mentally preparing myself for him to tell me how he truly feels about Lilly, ready to be the supportive best friend he wants me to be... even if my heart longed to be more. "Morning," I smile, as much as I missed London, the California sun seemed to make Jamie glow, his curls slightly frizzy from the heat but somehow still adorable.

    Silence falls over the two of us, an awkward one that seems to float in between us. He's your best friend, Eden. I have to remind myself, as Bailey nudges her arm against mine, a silent gesture to comfort my slowly cracking heart, which only seemed to break more and more as things got weirder with Jamie, him clearly not telling me something. He parts his lips, and I feel hopeful, as he begins to say, "I was wondering if- "

    He pauses as someone wraps their arm around my shoulder, a sweaty arm tugging me into their side. "Hi, E." Jack greets me with a kiss to my temple.

    "Ew, how are you so sweaty already?" I push him off playfully, turning to look at the other boy. His hair is a mess of curls, stinking to his forehead slightly as he smiles at me, cheeks flushed red from the heat.

    Jack takes me pushing him off as a request to hug me again, pulling me into his warm arms once more, teasingly, "Britain and I were playing volleyball with some guys we met," he shrugs, sharing his warmth with me.

    "Wait," I push him back slightly, eyes widening as I take in his words, "Brit's here?" My gaze flies around for a minute, trying to find the other boy who hadn't joined us on the press tour. When my eyes connect with his, Jack releases me from his grip, allowing me to stand and greet the other equally sweaty boy, practically jumping into his arms from excitement. "You cut your hair," is what I say as a greeting, noticing his long curls have been chopped short.

    I'd seen Britain less frequently than everyone else. He's chosen to stay away from interviews and press junkets for the most part due to his social anxiety, so it's been a while. "Nice to see you too, Eden." He laughs at my greeting, hugging me back.