Thirty-three

New Year's Eve 2022

I laugh as Jack dances to the song playing through the speakers, his famous dance moves not at all going along to the beat of the Lizzo song playing around the room. My voice feels hoarse from singing along all night, and my feet ache in my heels from dancing. Jack, Lilly and I hadn't left the dance floor at all, only leaving to get a drink and then quickly returning.

The two of them have done a fantastic job at getting my mind off Jamie, who left yesterday afternoon, promising me he'd see me soon. It sucks not getting to ring in the New Year with him. They say the people you bring the new year in with are the people who will be by your side throughout the next year, and while I'm grateful Jack and Lilly are two of those people, I can't help but wish Jamie was here.

"I'm gonna go grab a drink," Jack says as another song starts, slightly out of breath from dancing. He's wearing a crisp black suit, his curls styled in a messy but cute way.

I can't help but notice the way Lilly's eyes linger on him as he walks away, cheeks flushed, "you know he feels the same way, right?" I nudge her, not bothering to dance along to the Lady Gaga song now playing over the speakers, needing to catch my breath.

Lilly sighs, almost sadly, turning to look at me, "yeah, I gathered that," she smiles wistfully, pressing her lips together.

"So, what're you waiting for?" I shake my head at her, confused.

"Jack's the best," She informs me, information I already know. I watch as Lilly's gaze flickers back over to him. He's talking to someone at the refreshment table, a friendly smile dancing across his lips, "and he deserves the best..." she drags, "I've made a lot of mistakes, Eden. Done a lot of things I wish I could take back... I don't want him to think I only like him because my management told me to, and I don't. He makes me really, really happy, but I don't deserve him."

My heart shatters in my chest as she forces a smile onto her face as if remembering where she is, putting back on her picture-perfect act, "You don't have to be perfect all the time, Lilly." I reach over, squeezing her hand in mine. "And I know for a fact you make him just as happy." Jack's been so excited and giddy these past few weeks, and it's all because of Lilly.

Jack is walking over to us as the DJ speaks into his mic, "Is everyone ready to ring in the new year?" The man asks, everyone, cheering in response. Jack wraps his arm around my shoulder, leaning his cheek against my head, "We're gonna slow it down for this next one. I wanna see all you couples on the dance floor."

"I'm gonna go call Jamie," I look at my phone, seeing we're only 4 minutes away from the New Year. Lilly looks at me with massive eyes, silently telling me not to leave her and Jack alone on the dance floor right now, "you two should dance, though," I say, nudging Jack in her direction, "I'll see you after Midnight."

"Y-you don't have to if you don't want to," Lilly's nervous, an odd emotion that I've never really seen her wear.

At the same time, Jack asks, "Do you wanna dance?"

I slowly back away as Lilly's cheeks erupt into flames, nodding her head, "Yeah," she looks over at me as I shoot her a thumbs up, winking. "I'd love that."

New Year's Day by Taylor Swift begins to play over the speakers as I walk over to a far corner of the room, pulling my phone out of the pocket of my dress once more. It takes a minute before Jamie finally answers, his tired features greeting me, "Hi there," I smile, having to speak a little bit louder to be heard over the music. "How's 2023?"

"Tiring," Jamie chuckles, "might have had one too many beers last night with my mates and way too early of a call time." Jamie looks like he's sitting in his trailer, nursing a cup of coffee as he asks me, "Where are Lilly and Jack?"