Koen texted me to ask how his older sister was and I explained she's not feeling great and also let him know Niall's still in surgery but I'd keep him updated so he didn't worry. One thing I know about him is that he does worry an extreme amount especially about Emersyn.

It reminds me of the night Emerysn was drugged at the bar and I took her to hospital, how he was frantically messaging her so scared for her safety. He's very caring for a teenage boy, I think it's such an important trait to have and it seems to be something both Ripley children have despite their upbringing.

A nurse enters the room we're in, moving around like she's prepping for Niall to be brought in which means he's alive and made it through surgery. I don't think he was in a life threatening state but he was definitely verging on it, it was terrifying especially since I feel responsible for him being in that situation.

Emersyn is curled up against my chest, I squeeze her shoulder softly. "Angel, I think he's about to be brought in."

She doesn't lift her head but tilts it up so she can see the whole sterile room around her. I can tell she's watching the nurse because her head shifts to follow her around the space. It's beginning to get late as well, the sun has set and it's dark outside but the branch of an oak tree keeps knocking on the window like it's reminding us of its presence.

Emersyn seems to relax knowing Niall is about to be brought in, the doctors have said we could stay until then but have to leave due to visiting hours having finished ages ago. She just needs to see him alive and well, maybe even speak to him if he wakes quickly, it will settle her messy mind.

"Take a deep breath, yeah?" I encourage gently, kissing the top of her fragile head in such a daunting moment. I feel her chest expand, I smile to myself that she's actually done as I requested, I was expecting her to brush me off and ignore me.

As she exhales Niall's wheeled into the room on a bed and she lifts her head completely up to look over his soft expression as he lays in a medicated sleep. She doesn't make another move until the nurses have secured him in the room, a doctor approaching us on the chairs.

"How's he doing?" I question with brows raised in worry.

The doctor smiles, "good. The surgery went well, he lost a lot of blood but we managed to stabilise him and thankfully the bullet narrowly missed anything important that would've caused the loss of use in his left arm. I want him overnight for observation and I'm happy for you both to stay until he wakes up, I'm sure he'd like to see your familiar faces but I can't authorise either of you staying the night."

I nod in understanding, as does Emersyn beside me.

"He'll recover from this, he just might need some support with his left arm. Is that his dominant one?"

Emerysn nods her head, "he's left handed." Her voice is so sad and fragile that my heart shatters in my chest.

The doctor smiles softly, sensing how destroyed she is. "I'll make note of that and keep an eye on how he gets on, he might just need some physical therapy to regain his strength but I have hope that he'll have full function when he wakes up."

"Thank you for helping him." Emersyn speaks kindly, resting her head against my arm tiredly.

"That's okay, just relax now you know he's fine, he'll be looked after here." I think the Doctor has sensed her hesitance to leave and wants to reassure her it's okay, I'm glad someone else has told her that because now she might believe it.