Favorite Place To Be

Lan Zhan's POV

Lan Zhan rose, cradling Wei Ying close to him, intending to take him back to their room. His beloved was so tired, having exhausted himself into sleeping, that Lan Zhan wanted nothing more than to fall into bed with him.

There was a little bit of guilt about that, too. Wei Ying wouldn't have exhausted himself like that, if Lan Zhan had only left him a note or a message to let him know where he had gone. Of course, there was no guarantee that either would have reached him, but that wasn't the point.

Tomorrow was the day of their secret wedding, now both of them were eighteen and of age. Lan Zhan was looking forward to tomorrow as if it was his birthday, because tomorrow, he would be receiving the best gift of all: Wei Ying.

It was an honour he took seriously, the chance to be by Wei Ying's side, forever. To honour, cherish and respect him, to provide comfort and love for the rest of their lives together.

Lan Zhan couldn't wait.

Looking down at the beautiful golden skin of his gorgeous fiance, evidence of how much Wei Ying loved the outdoors, was making little sparks of delight ignite in his chest, his heart brimming full with happiness. Wei Ying's generous forehead was an indication of good fortune and fame, his proud brows the canopy under which the light of a thousand stars shone when Wei Ying opened his beautiful eyes. A deep rosy blush glistened on his curved cheeks that looked so soft, Lan Zhan wanted to bite them.

"Let me take him," a voice says, stirring Lan Zhan out of his trance.

He looks up to see Wei Changze standing in front of him, amusement lighting up his face.

Lan Zhan can see all the parts which belong to Wei Ying here, on his face. But it is in his wide smile, and the way his eyes have lit up, that he can see the most similarities that now shine from his husband-to-be.

"May I?" Lan Zhan clutches Wei Ying tighter, bringing him closer to his chest.

It isn't really a question, because Lan Zhan has no intention of giving him up. But he wants to be polite, even if Wei Changze might as well be asking him if Lan Zhan wants poop for dessert.

"I hope you are aware that, while we weren't here, it was an oversight to have two unmarried persons sharing a bed. However, tomorrow morning and the consequent day must start with both of you alone. Those to be wed, must not see each other before the ceremony." Wei Changze sounds quite sternly adamant, despite his friendly countenance.

Lan Zhan can already feel his ears lighting up like winter berries, and he wants to protest his innocence, but it's not as if he can go into details, can he? It will be embarrassing for all concerned.

"I am sure my Didi only made sure they both rested," XiChen says, out of nowhere coming to stand next to him.

"Mn." Lan Zhan quickly agreed. His brother always knew what to say.

"Oh, don't take his insinuations to heart!" Cangse Sanren cackled, coming to slap Lan Zhan's back. "I know and trust both my sons," she winks at both Lan Zhan and XiChen.

Lan Zhan feels warm all over.

Wei Ying's mother called him her son, as well.

However, she hasn't finished speaking yet.

"But the traditions remain, and I'm afraid you both have to spend tonight apart," she adds, sympathy lacing her words.

"But if Wei Ying wakes in the night, who will be there to soothe him?" Lan Zhan asks them, so seriously. It is a legitimate concern.

Both of Wei Ying's parents glance at each other, sharing a soft, fond look.

"It is alright, one of us will stay with him. There's much to do for tomorrow so I doubt any of us will go to sleep." Cangse Sanren assures him.