Seeds Of Doubt

Lan Zhan POV

Lan Zhan wanted to rip something into shreds. They were surrounded by trees but he had enough awareness to know that making any noise right now would only lead their enemies straight to them.

The frustration was real.

This night was going from bad to worse.

His bracelet burning was really the last straw.

"I'm going back." He announced.

There were protests from all three who were awake.

"You can't!"

"Watch me." He told Jiang Cheng without remorse.

It was because of this boy's mother that Wei Ying was in danger.

In the past, Lan Zhan had never felt any patience for the Jiang Heir. He found him to be loud, obnoxious and inferior in many ways to the other cultivators...but his position as the heir was the only thing that afforded him respect.

However, birthright did not equal ability.

But he was also the reason why Wei Ying put himself in danger and that was unacceptable to Lan Zhan.

Right now, reason had flown away. Wei Ying was in peril and nothing else mattered to him.

But just as he was going to put Cangse Sanren down, a warm hand on his forearm made him stop.

Wei Changze was smiling at him. It was a sad smile. But full of understanding.

"I know you want to go to him. And if his mother was fine, heck if I was fine, then I would encourage you to go. But you know as well as I do, the three of us," he gestured towards the Jiangs, "we won't make it on our own. And my boy will be hurt that you didn't keep your promise." He said softly. "I have a better idea...if you're willing to listen."

Lan Zhan tried to calm himself.

His mind was in turmoil and he found it difficult to concentrate. His heart was crying out, a repetition of WeiYing, WeiYing, WeiYing...

Wei Changze was waiting for him.

"What is it?" He asked, worried about his answer.

"Just get Wei Ying's mother to safety. That is all I ask of you. I know it is a difficult decision and I would never say this unless our situation was not so dire. But you know as well as I do, if the Wens get their hands on either of us, it will be far worse. You are taking us to Baoshan Sanren, correct?" Wei Changze was no fool.

His assumption was correct that they needed to get to safety first, and then plan what needed to be done.

"If this was a trap, and they wanted my son, I think it's safe to assume they have him. But-"

Lan Zhan's face was a mask of grief.

Wei Changze hugged him gently, mindful of his burden.

In his ear, he whispered, "let's be careful what we say. We don't know how much they know yet. But Wen Rouhan needs Wei Ying for something...he won't kill him. At least not yet. It would be prudent to take this one step at a time."

Lan Zhan, who usually did not like being touched like this, felt a little bit better. Wei Ying's father was very much like his son in freely offering support. Lan Zhan supposed that was where Wei Ying got that quality from.

And reluctantly, he conceded that the elder was right.

"How long did it take you to arrive from the Grandmaster's place?" Wei Changze asked, stepping back.