Of Pigs and Cabbages

Lan Zhan's POV

The crowd quiets and then someone shouts, "The two rogue cultivators! What happened to them?"

Wei Ying looks at Lan Zhan.

Lan Zhan feels terribly out of his depth. He's not used to public speaking, and every time that skill is needed, it's his brother who speaks for the clan.

Give him a night beast to vanquish, a worthy opponent to defeat on a battlefield, or even summoning a spirit refusing to rest, and Lan Zhan can do it all.

He looks around at all the expectant faces staring straight back at him, the children who are waiting for an exciting story, their eyes already lit up with anticipation.

Lan Zhan cannot disappoint.

He must stop using his brother as a crutch.

Everything depends on him being able to convince these people of his true intentions, because they already think he's scary and unreliable, someone who might still pull a sword on them and attack.

So Lan Zhan swallows hard, and reaches for Wei Ying's warm hand, loving the way it seems to fit so well in his own one. The relief which floods his system gives him much needed courage to be able to open his mouth.

"The two cultivators loved each other so much, but they were persecuted by the other Sects. They only saw one way out, and they chose to kill themselves."

A gasp goes through the crowd, like a rippling shockwave of feeling.

"We need to hear the lullaby again." Lan Zhan glances at his beloved.

Wei Ying nods in agreement, and his sweet voice rings out in the silence that follows. All are listening. Young and old, they are utterly captivated by his beautiful cadence, bringing life into the lyrics as he sings of an angel of the clouds, and a beauty of the lake. Of ice and fire, darkness and light, his song transforms the hostile faces into ones full of wonder.

When the last echoes of the lullaby fade away, Lan Zhan knows just what to say.

"Many misunderstandings have led to our two clans fighting uselessly for so many years. It is regrettable and now that there is another problem coming towards us, we must join together to fight against injustice." He remembers what Grandmother Sanren said, and repeats the words she used. "Fingers alone are weak, but a fist is so much stronger."

"How do we know we can trust you?" A single sharp, shrill shout rings out from the people watching them.

"Because we are the Solstice Sons. We are fated to bring about an end to that war." Wei Ying stands up, and the murmurs begin to hush. "And we need your help."

"We want to show you something when the time is right." Lan Zhan feels like this is a cop out, to not present their forms when they become one.

But any extravagant displays of their power this early in their campaign to garner support to face the Wens, would only lead to a terrible disadvantage. It would take only a single loose tongue wagging about black and white cores to bring the enemy to their gate.

Luckily, Wei Ying has understood why they can't give a show of their power.

"What other problem is coming?" This is a little boy of around nine or ten, asking Wei Ying directly.

Wei Ying tells them about the trap laid at Lotus Cove, how he was captured and how Lan Zhan came to save him. When the avid listeners hear that, they stare at Lan Zhan as if he has a cat on his shoulder.

It is unnerving, but Lan Zhan makes himself look back at these people, people whom Wei Ying cares about.

Otherwise, why else would he interrupt their traveling to talk to them?