Lessons Learned

Wei Ying POV

Wei Ying is so excited for lunch today.

Last night, after his loving jade fell asleep exhausted from the day's work, he snuck out of his room and went to the kitchen. An old friend of his, Ma Chen, agreed to help him make a delicious meal for him and Lan Zhan to share while they sat with the bunnies.

She showed him how to prepare tofu seasoned with onion and garlic. He learned how to cut yams into flowers and arrange fruit like peaches, berries, and plums into a colorful bouquet. Knowing that Wei Ying's betrothed did not eat meat, she suggested that he stuff the buns with finely shredded vegetables so they would cook properly.

It took him four hours but when he saw all the delicious food placed in the basket, Wei YIng knew all his hard work was worth it.

Returning to his bedroom, he crawled into bed next to Lan Zhan with excited exhaustion. Snuggling up against his jade's warm body, he breathed in the calming sandalwood scent behind Lan Zhan's ear where it was the strongest. Before he could count the number of long eyelashes resting against his beloved's cheek, he fell asleep with a smile on his face.

The early winter sun is now at its highest and Wei Ying stands outside the last of the twenty shelters they dug and fortified. He oversees the final preparations as dried food is being brought in by the women who prepared it for storage. A few blankets have also been added to the other necessities. Even though the days might be warmer than most places, the nights can be cold, especially for the young ones.

It has been hard work, but his people have proven that they can accomplish whatever they put their minds to. Even the outer clans have followed their plan and dug a few shelters of their own. Wei Ying couldn't be more proud. He's watched them strengthen their bonds with their neighbors, friends, and family. And he's witnessed their acceptance of his future husband.

He thinks about how much Lan Zhan has changed over the past few months. They've both grown into their roles of future leaders quicker than either one of them had expected. Yet Lan Zhan has had to adapt to a life he had no idea existed outside his clan's protective walls. His jade has had to learn how to "bend" the rules drilled into him since he was old enough to walk in order to survive.

Wei Ying giggles reminiscing about the pranks Lan Zhan thought up all by himself and executed with cunning precision on his fellow clansmen. His fiance has handled every obstacle thrown at him with grace, kindness, and understanding.

Just thinking about the man he's about to marry brings tears to his eyes. He quickly wipes them away and retrieves the basket of food he's hidden behind a large boulder. It doesn't take him long to find the spot where the bunnies are nibbling on grass and a few wild strawberries still untouched by winter's cooling temperatures. He lays out all the food and drink, rearranging it a few times before he deems it perfect, and rushes off to find Lan Zhan.

There are very few people left working now that everything is almost complete. Yet, he still can't find Lan Zhan. He asks around but apparently no one has seen him since before the sun reached its peak.

"Did he go back home for something?" he wonders out loud.

Wei Ying shakes his head. "No. He would have told me."

One by one, he searches the shelters. With no sign of Lan Zhan after checking the closest ones, he unsheathes Suibian and flies to the others. They purposefully built the tunnels spread out randomly so they would be harder to find. They used natural landmarks to hide their entrances but Wei Ying knew where each one was.

Every time he lands, he shouts, "Lan Zhan!"

Every time he takes to the air, he prays, "Please be there."