Unlikely Allies

Wei Ying POV

"Lan Zhan!" Wei Ying screamed.

The look of absolute rage blanketed Lan Zhan's normally calm face. To others, the Second Jade's expression would have been difficult to read even now. But to Wei Ying, his beloved's out of control emotions poured off him in catastrophic waves.

Bichen was hovering at the woman's pale and exposed neck, its sharp blade ready to draw blood. Wei Ying didn't know why it was there. Yes, the two Wens in front of them wore the robes of their enemy. His anger towards them was immediate because of them. But both he and Lan Zhan had watched the brother and sister help the victims of the attack from the burning buildings and give them medicine for their injuries.

When Wen Qing had bravely refused to engage them in order to treat an old man, Wei Ying began to examine the situation more closely. Listening to her explain that they were a small faction of healers, he had asked why they didn't leave and start their own sect or find refuge with another sect. And then he looked into her hazel eyes.

The fierce fighting spirit that was hidden just under her calm exterior was restrained by her love for her brother, Wen QiongLin. They couldn't just leave. Wei Ying had heard stories of Wen Rouhan's punishment for any clan member that tried to defect. Those that tried, never lived to give hope to anyone else who considered the same attempt at freedom.

Wei Ying placed a gentle hand on his soulmate's steady hand holding Bichen and moved in front of him, blocking Lan Zhan's view of the young woman holding her head high.

"Lan Zhan." he said calmly. He wasn't sure what had set off Lan Zhan's rage. So shifted closer to the man he loved slowly, never letting his hand leave the one holding Bichen.

But Lan Zhan's golden fury was still focused on the woman. He kept trying to look around Wei Ying's head like a toddler peeking at something but Wei Ying kept tilting to the left and right, blocking his angry jade's view of the two Wens behind him.

"Lan Zhan look at me." Wei Ying ordered tenderly.

Lan Zhan's eyes blinked rapidly. Wei Ying could see the confusion in them, swirling inside sunlit pools of uncertainty. He placed a warm palm on Lan Zhan's smooth cheek and pulled the older man's gaze towards him.

"It's alright, my love. You can lower your sword. They are not a danger to us or anyone here."

Each word Wei Ying spoke was firm yet sympathetic. He spoke slowly to make sure Lan Zhan heard each one. Gradually, understanding dulled the anger flooding through his jade's body. Wei Ying saw Lan Zhan's shoulders slump as the adrenaline coursing through his impressive body drained from his muscles. The steady arm holding Bichen dropped to Lan Zhan's side as if his spiritual weapon suddenly became too heavy to lift off the ground.

Wei Ying kissed those lips that were trembling like a baby hummingbird's wings. He coaxed them to respond with slow motions and light touches. Lan Zhan's taste lingered after each one and Wei Ying couldn't help but lick his lips trying to consume the flavor of crisp mountain air and jasmine. Silver eyes sparked as golden ones dilated with a dangerous need.

"Not now." Wei Ying whispered sadly. He pulled away from the man who owned his heart and soul, wishing for whatever was going to happen to happen quickly so they could get back to their room.

Lan Zhan's bottom lip protruded the tiniest bit and Wei Ying could not restrain the tiny giggle that escaped his throat. How did someone go from being angry enough to threaten someone's life to looking like a reprimanded child? That anger worried Wei Ying. Something must have triggered a deep seated hatred inside his well-mannered jade. Perhaps something that even Lan Zhan did not know was there.