Meeting The In-Laws

Wei Ying POV

Gold and silver eyes snapped open. Wei Ying felt the grip on his hand tighten and heard his jade's sharp intake of air. His own heart skittered inside his chest at his grandmother's unexpected announcement.

"What do you mean, he's not alone?"

"Exactly what you think it means." Baoshen Sanren answered calmly. "I suggest you take a moment." she continued, her gaze focused on the young man in white. "We will make them comfortable until you're both ready."

Before Wei Ying could ask any more questions, she turned and left.

With practiced ease, Wei Ying climbed into Lan Zhan's lap.

"What are you feeling?" he asked calmly.

The polished gold of Lan Zhan's eyes met his curious silver ones.

"I...I am unsure."

Wei Ying smiled understandingly. "Well, this is the perfect opportunity to practice what you've been learning the last few days. Are you ready?"

With a deep breath, Lan Zhan relaxed his tense shoulders.

Taking his jade's hands in his, Wei Ying said, "I want you to answer my questions with the first thought that comes into your mind. Don't think about it too much. Go with your gut."

A puzzled look crossed Lan Zhan's face. "Go with my...gut?"

The tilt of his head only made him cuter and Wei Ying couldn't help but kiss him on the tip of his nose.

"Yes! Let your instinct be your guide. Understand?"

Looking more serious than ever, Lan Zhan nodded.

"Alright. First question. No matter who is here with your brother, no matter what they say to you, will you stop loving me?"

"No." Lan Zhan's answer was sharp and quick.

"Good! Now tell me, is there anything they could do or say to stop you from marrying me?"

"No."

Relief softened Lan Zhan's nervous gaze and Wei Ying felt a rush of want washing over him. He cleared his throat and placed his hands on both of his jade's cheeks.

Looking Lan Zhan directly in the eyes, Wei Ying asked, "So does it matter who is here with your brother or how many came with him?"

"No." Lan Zhan's voice grew steadier with each answer and Wei Ying couldn't be prouder.

"Does it matter what they are going to say?"

Wei Ying saw the instant Lan Zhan realized that the fear trying to pollute his mind was nothing more than a weed looking for a weak spot to root. Excited golden eyes blinked back at him with awe-filled tears.

"No." Lan Zhan replied. "Nothing...no one can come between us. I am yours and you are mine. Soulmates."

The slide of warm lips over his had Wei Ying's head spinning like a falling maple seed. Strong arms pulled him closer, his body molding perfectly with Lan Zhan's. As the kiss deepened, Wei Ying got up on his knees which made him temporarily taller than his fiance. His new position allowed him to deepen the kiss, his tongue exploring from a different angle.

They parted unwillingly, out of breath. Their foreheads rested against each other as they centered themselves.

"You know, your brother may have brought someone because he's scared." Wei Ying suggested.

Lan Zhan's head whipped back. "Xiongzhang is...afraid?"

Wei Ying chuckled. "Maybe. The last time he met my parents, you know, the leaders of the clan your clan has been at war with for oh...say, five hundred years, was back at the night hunt when my mother was seriously injured and in a coma for weeks. Your brother might be afraid that they still hold a grudge against you considering you basically confessed to trying to kill her by freely agreeing to marry me. He doesn't know everything we've learned over the past few months. So it wouldn't surprise me that, even though reason says he has nothing to fear, there isn't a tiny part of him that worries about his didi."