Ultimatum

Wei Ying POV

Voices.

Unfamiliar voices.

They were all around him. Wei Ying strained to hear what they were saying. It sounded as if the voices were underwater, bubbles distorting the words. Everything ran together until there was no end or beginning to the monotonous noise. As the fog slowly began lifting from his mind, Wei Ying thought maybe they were standing inside a giant bell. The muffled voices seemed to be echoing and blending together. Gradually, the heavy veil of nothingness lifted enough that he could understand that there weren't many people talking about him. Only two.

"Your father ordered me to take him to the throne room once he woke up."

Wei Ying knew that voice.

Wen Zhuliu.

"I don't care. I want to see what he can do. I want to know why we've been scouring every village and mountainside looking for one insignificant looking boy. What's so damn special about him anyway?"

The voice seemed to belong to a young man, possibly about the same age as Wei Ying. But his tone was annoyingly whiney. He was obviously a spoiled brat with no manners who needed a long overdue spanking. With a paddle. Made of Zitan wood.

"And why is the young master so interested?" Wen Zhuliu asked calmly.

There was a long pause. Wei Ying began to wonder if they had left. He thought about opening his eyes. However, he knew people were always more loquacious if they thought no one was listening. So, he decided to remain quiet for the time being.

It was a good plan until....

*slap*

"Wake up!"

"Young Master Wen, the doctor's needles are quite effective. The paralysis takes a while to wear off."

"So then it's fine if I hit him a few more times. He won't feel it."

Wei Ying prepared himself for another unprovoked attack. He had found himself in a sitting position when he woke. It left him somewhat exposed. His arms were chained behind him with large metal shackles making it difficult to defend himself. The feeling in his appendages was returning but it was a slow process. There was no way he was in any shape to escape without causing himself damage. For the moment, he thought it best to play it safe and remain a motionless victim.

Wen Zhuliu breathed deeply. Obviously he was also tired of the young master's attitude.

"Your father gave me specific instructions not to harm the young heir. The clan leader does not want him injured. He wishes to learn from him."

"Learn what? Father is the strongest cultivator in all of the sects. He has the biggest army and the strongest sons. We have more wealth than the Jins. What more could he want?"

Wei Ying listened intently. If he was right, this snot-nosed brat was one of Wen Rouhan's sons. Which one he didn't know. He had never traveled to Nightless City to perform nor had he come to visit. The Wen Clan had always been known for its armies and prejudice towards the other clans. It was never known for its love of the arts or kindness.

"This young man that you find so disinteresting is capable of controlling resentful energy. I have seen it myself."

"So what?" the Wen youth scoffed. "We have the artifact my grandfather found that controls it. Why do we need him?"

Wen Zhuliu's footsteps were quick and must have caught the Wen heir off guard by the way he squeaked. Wei Ying stifled the giggle threatening to give him away.