Searching For Answers

Lan Zhan's POV

Lan Zhan stared at Wei Ying.

He wanted to reassure his beloved that the threat wasn't imminent, but if he was honest with himself, there was no guarantee that the traitors didn't have another way to pass on information.

So now what?

Here, there were too many ears listening to any plans they might make, and already Lan Zhan was thinking of what to do. His eyes snapped up towards his brother's slightly darker ones, wanting him to understand.

Luckily, the Sect Leader understood.

"It is late." XiChen told everyone. "Let us rest for now, and make plans in the morning. We will all be better able to think clearly after some much needed sleep." He motioned to Wei Ying and his brother to follow him out.

But when the turning came to go towards the Jingshi and Wei Ying would have walked upon that path, Lan Zhan tugged on his hand to stop him. With one finger on his lips, he looked around to make sure they were not followed, as XiChen went to open his door.

Thankfully Wei Ying was sharp enough to understand and they made their way silently to the Hanshi.

Once inside, XiChen flung a silencing talisman over the whole building, and Lan Zhan saw Wei Ying take in a full breath at last.

"I'm guessing you guys already have an idea what to do....since I'm freaking out." He admitted.

Lan Zhan took hold of his hand and pulled him towards the little table where tea was ready to be poured. He kept his arm around Wei Ying's waist, keeping him as close as possible while XiChen poured green jasmine tea into their cups. He sweetened it with honey too.

"First drink this. It will calm you." XiChen said to both of them.

"It is safe." Lan Zhan understood why Wei Ying was hesitant to drink more tea here, in Cloud Recesses.

The incident with the truth serum was traumatic not just for Wei Ying, but for Lan Zhan too. He didn't think he would ever be able to get that image out of his head, of a slurring and clearly incapacitated Wei Ying, barely able to stand after what the Elders did to him.

But in the last hour, significant events had occurred...ones that were the start of a positive change in the eyes of the Elders of Cloud Recesses.

Firstly, Uncle Qiren's apology...perhaps there was much improvement to be made here, but the fact that he was trying was a start. The nullifying of whatever was feeding off the resentment energy in the Great Hall probably had a lot to do with it, but either way, Wei Ying had to be accepted as part of the Lan Clan now.

Once Uncle Qiren accepted Wei Ying fully into their family, the other elders would follow, and then too, all others who up until now, had cast a suspicious eye on the Wei Clan of Yilling.

Secondly, the fact that others could and actually were controlling resentment energy aside from his beloved...that proof went far and wide to opening their minds and to getting them to accept that all events were not cut and dried, that everything was not immediately Wei Ying's fault.

Lan Zhan brought his cup to his own lips first and sipped a mouthful, before offering the same cup to his Wei Ying. Silver eyes, bright with trust and understanding, filled with love shone back at him, as Wei Ying's beautiful lips opened.

Lan Zhan watched his Adam's apple move as he swallowed, and stamped down on the sudden urge to bite him there.

As if Wei Ying knew what he was thinking, those brilliant silver irises darkened, as Wei Ying reached for his hand. Lan Zhan's own fingers entwined with darker ones. He loved the contrasting shades of both their hands, his own ones paler than Wei Ying's but fitting together so perfectly...rather like their bracelets.