Truth Be Told

Wei Ying POV

Wei Ying knew what it felt like to be under the influence of a powerful truth serum. Memories of not being able to think straight, of having his mouth moving without his consent returned in a suffocating rush. He wanted nothing more than to walk back out the door. But there were things he needed to know. There were questions they all wanted to ask.

"A-Xian!" Jiang Fengmian said with a friendly smile. "Where have you been, mmmmy boy?"

Wei Ying looked to his grandmother who stood there with a satisfied gloat on her deceptively young face. She encouraged him with her hands but he couldn't move. His silver eyes looked over at his parents who waited patiently for him to make a decision.

A warm hand slipped into his. The action was almost unnoticeable to others. But to Wei Ying, it had the same effect as a bucket of cold water being poured on an open campfire. The heat from the smoldering embers was still there but the flames no longer licked hungrily at the logs.

Wei Ying took a deep breath. He held it, weighing his options within his calculating mind, before exhaling slowly. Giving his jade's hand a reassuring squeeze, he moved closer to the man who had treated him like his own son. As their connection slowly faded, Wei Ying found that he wasn't scared. Lan Zhan was with him. Even if they weren't physically touching, he knew his soulmate was still beside him. Still protecting him. Still loving him.

"I'm sorry, Uncle Jiang, I've been a little busy. But I'm here now." Wei Ying explained as he knelt in front of the heavily drugged man.

"Youuu look good. You lllllook happy. I'm ssssooo glad you're hhhhappy."

"I am happy, uncle. Are you happy?"

It was such a simple question. Yet, at its core, it would open the door to the truth the serum had unlocked.

Jiang Fengmian paused as the smile on his face faltered. His brows knitted together until thoughtful furrows appeared on his normally smooth forehead.

I...I uuuused to be happy." he answered, his deep lilac eyes drifting to his hands that rested in his lap. "I remmmember being happy."

Jiang Fengmian looked at Wei Ying as if the young man kneeling before him had all the answers. "Why ammm I nnnnot happy anymore, A-Xian?"

The older man reached out for Wei Ying's hands but found only air when the young man in black pulled them back. It hadn't been a conscious response on Wei Ying's part. In fact, he hadn't even known he had responded in that way until Jiang Fengmian stared at him with clear shock.

Tears gathered in the corners of Wei Ying's eyes. He looked up at his parents whose watery gazes matched his own. When he looked at his grandmother, he realized she would not be as merciful if asked to question the Jiang Clan leader in his stead. Yanli stood silently in the corner. Her hands fidgeted in front of her and all Wei Ying wanted to do was hug her and tell her everything was going to be alright.

But that would have been a lie.

"Uncle, what do you know about Madam Yu and the Wen's?"

Jiang Fengmian's hands struck out like vipers and grabbed Wei Ying's shoulders. "Sheee let them innnn, didn't she?"

Lan Zhan quickly moved behind Wei Ying but Wei Ying waved him off. The scowl on his protective jade's face was obvious but Wei Ying didn't know if it was because of Jiang Fengmian's hands on him or the fact that Wei Ying denied him from laying a hand on the groggy man in the chair.

Placing tender hands on top of the clan leader's, Wei Ying slowly loosened Jiang Fengmian's hold on his shoulders. With a small jerk, his shoulders were free. However, Wei Ying continued to hold onto Jiang Fengmian's hands, praying that the clan leader he admired for being fair and kind was not someone who would be responsible for the massacre of his clan.