An Apology With A Warning

Wei Ying POV

By the time the sun set behind the mountains, they had captured forty three souls that were exposed by Wei Ying's talisman arrays. Forty three men and women who had either infiltrated the clan or had been swayed by promises that would never be fulfilled. Needless to say, the Lan Clan elders were deeply disturbed. The looks on their ashen faces were proof of that.

All of their bravado, anger, and hatred had faded like the setting sun. Shame clouded their eyes as they looked at the two young cultivators with lowered heads. None of them had said a word since Wei Ying and Lan Zhan had returned to the Great Hall.

Lan Xichen stood next to his brother. Wei Ying gave the disheartened clan leader an understanding smile. The young clan leader was not much older than him and Wei Ying couldn't imagine what thoughts were in his shaken mind. He could barely keep track of the swirling ideas inside his own head.

Wei Ying should have felt relieved. He no longer seemed to be enemy number one. But there was something eating away at his feeling of redemption. And it was hungry.

"What is Wei Ying thinking?" Lan Zhan asked in that all too familiar tone.

Wei Ying smiled guiltily. He couldn't hide anything from his soulmate.

"I have....theories." he murmured.

Lan Xichen's head bowed ever so slightly. "I would be very interested in hearing your thoughts, A-Xian. You have been nothing but right so far. I believe you might be the only one here that has any idea worth listening to."

Wei Ying felt the blush warming his cheeks. Lan Zhan kissed the top of his head tenderly, sneaking in a deep breath that Wei Ying felt against his scalp. He chuckled behind tight lips, reveling in the fact that his jade could not help himself.

"Xichen-ge, I think....." Wei Ying mumbled quietly.

"A-Xian, please. I do not mean to interrupt but I would like you to explain your theories to everyone here." The clan leader's amber eyes scanned the huddled elders behind him. "I am sure they are more than ready to listen."

Wei Ying watched in disbelief as every elder present raised their head and gave him their complete and undivided attention. Gazes that used to exude wisdom now looked to him for answers. One man stepped out of the wall of white. His steps were slow, cautious, yet steady. Wei Ying felt Lan Zhan squeeze his hand and he immediately responded with his own gentle pressure.

Every part of him wanted to turn and leave or at best, hide behind his husband to be. However, Wei Ying knew that if he did that, this elder would never respect him. He also knew that he'd never be able to show his face to his parents again. So, against his instincts, Wei Ying remained where he was, his head held high.

He never expected what happened next.

Both Lan Zhan and Lan Xichen moved and stood in front of him. Both of their swords were sheathed but held in front of them as a warning to the man approaching Wei Ying. Both of them became his shields, unwilling to let any further harm come to him.

The elder stopped, his chest almost touching the spiritual swords that were crossed in front of him. Wei Ying couldn't breathe. His heart raced so fast it was like he had a hundred galloping horses inside his chest. Silver eyes darted between the Twin Jades before finally looking at the elder on the other side of his protective family. And yet, this man in front of him was also going to be his family. That's why, when Lan Qiren bowed his head ever so slightly, Wei Ying began to have hope.

The rest of the elders also bowed and Wei Ying was overcome with emotion. Tears he hadn't known were there ran effortlessly down his face. He tasted their saltiness and wiped them away with his sleeve. Lan Zhan turned to him and offered his dancer a handkerchief which Wei Ying accepted with a tiny giggle.