The Purple Viper

Lan Zhan's POV

Lan Zhan paused outside Swords Hall.

He could see the purple swathes of silk from the corner of his eye and knew Jiang Cheng was close by, near enough to hear whatever he and Madam Yu said.

Nerves coiled around his heart like a snake, cold and strong, tightening with every breath.

He wished he did not have to do this...but it was imperative that Jiang Cheng see his mother in her true light. Whether it made any difference to his main mission, that of finding Wei Ying, was yet to be seen. Lan Zhan was brutally honest with himself: he felt as if he was wasting precious time by talking to Madam Yu.

But hopefully, she would give him vital evidence of Wei Ying's whereabouts and that was his main reason for going through this farce. Roughly eighteen hours had passed since he and Wei Ying had left his grandmother, so twelve since he had been separated from the other half of his soul.

Lan Zhan felt every second of his absence and vowed to himself that he was going to get Wei Ying back as soon as possible.

He looked up and saw the crescent moon shining in a sky littered with diamonds. It appeared to be smiling at him, and Lan Zhan chose to see it as a good omen.

At least someone was on his side, and rooting for him.

Wherever Wei Ying was, Lan Zhan hoped he could see the same stars, the same moon, and give him the same hope; that Lan Zhan was coming for him.

The time had gone when he wished that his Xiongzhang was here, ready to stand in front of him and fight his battles for him.

Not any more.

Lan Zhan had to stand on his own two feet now.

He burst through the double doors, carved with the lotus flower design, and looked for Madam Yu.

She was the first thing he noticed.

There she sat on Jiang Fengmian's Lotus Throne, looking as regal as the Queen she was. Flanked by her trusted handmaidens, YinZhu and JinZhu, she already looked formidable.

Her sharp features narrowed, taking him in.

Lan Zhan also studied her with the same scrutiny, looking for any weakness. This first battle was one of wits, and who out of the two of them, possessed the stronger mind.

The static energy hummed between them, crackling like the purple sparks bursting from Zidian.

If that was anything to go by, then Madam Yu was agitated, despite her cold demeanor.

Good.

The second thing Lan Zhan noticed was the blistering scars of purple wounds scattered around the walls of the Great Hall.

They did not make sense to him.

They looked far more precise to be random hits, and since they were generously inflicted, almost like a pattern, Lan Zhan had to consider whether they were done on purpose...which could be entirely true...if one wanted to make a show of pretence, a show of pretending to defend themselves lest anyone attacked.

She saw him looking.

Lan Zhan let her speak first.

"Where is my son?" She barked.

Lan Zhan thought it noteworthy that she asked about him first and not her shadow of a husband or her daughter. He knew her marriage was rocky to put it kindly, and maybe he could use that to his advantage.

"He's safe. Rest assured, Madam. All of your family is safe." Lan Zhan clenched Bichen tightly...because his own was not.

As a direct result of this corrupt, maleficent woman.