Xue Yang

Wei Ying POV

Wei Ying didn't know what Wen Qing had put in the congee but whatever it was he felt so much better today. Most of his wounds were almost completely healed and his muscles didn't ache. His energy was back, his mind was focused, and he was ready to face whatever the Wens had planned for him.

The walk to the arena was unnerving. So many people lined the street to see him. They cheered and pushed at each other to get a better look at the man who wielded resentful energy like it was child's play. Wei Ying wrapped his arms around his naked torso, the feel of their eyes on his skin like the sting of thousands of hungry insects.

The guards surrounding him acted like a human shield, protecting him from their clawing hands. But some of those hands broke through and touched his arms and shoulders. He cringed and pulled back from the unwelcome attention as they moved too slowly towards their destination. The closer they got to the arena, the more difficult it became to move. Hundreds of people were pressed together, all wanting a glimpse of the Yiling Laozu.

By the time they reached the outer gate, Wei Ying was practically suffering from his first panic attack. Now he understood how Lan Zhan felt. He couldn't breathe, couldn't think. It felt as if his whole body was shutting down, collapsing into itself. Breaking free of the swarming crowd, Wei Ying leaned against the cool wall, thankful for the darkness inside. The slam of the closed doors had him taking his first deep breath since he left his room. Gradually, his mind cleared and he made his way down the hall.

It was midafternoon. Wen Zhuliu had requested a later exhibition today so that Wei Ying could have as much time as he needed to recover his strength. If Wei Ying didn't know better, he would have thought his captor actually cared about him.

Wen Qing was waiting for them when they entered the room where Wei Ying was to be examined one last time to ensure he was ready to fight. Her face was relaxed but her gaze wavered with the deep concern she had for this young man. Wei Ying could see the worry lining her eyes and smiled confidently to try and lift her spirits.

"I'm fine. Thank you for all you've done for me. I will never forget your kindness."

"Wei-gongzi, I only did what my leader requested of me. Nothing more."

Wei Ying's smile faltered. "I know."

Wen Qing placed a small cup of tea in his hands. "Take this."

Wen Zhuliu moved closer, examining the cup and its contents. "I didn't order that. What is it?"

Wen Qing's eyes narrowed a fraction. Wei Ying looked down at the cup he was holding.

"It's just black tea made from the Camillia plant. It will both boost and balance his energy."

Wei Ying's eyes snapped up at the mention of Camillia. His clan's flower symbol. It's what was on the front of his armor Lan Zhan had gifted him with before his trials in Cloud Recesses. Wen Qing was giving him a signal that everything would be alright even though they couldn't speak openly.

Wen Zhuliu sniffed the liquid, his eyes locked on Wen Qing the entire time. The feisty doctor stared back at the overly cautious cultivator with an equally formidable glare. Wei Ying held his breath at the stalemate between the two Wens.

Wen Qing noticed Wen Zhuliu's hesitation and added, "I've also included a few supplements in the tea which will help with any infection after the fight."

Finally, Wen Zhuliu stepped back and said, "I approve. Thank you, doctor."

Wei Ying looked at Wen Qing, his silver eyes asking permission.

"Go on, drink it." she said kindly. "It will take a while before you feel the full effects of my tea blend. It won't taste good either. But I promise you, it will all be worth it in the end."