Love Note

Wei Ying POV

As Wei Ying was led back to his room, he breathed in a lungful of the crisp almost winter air. Normally he preferred the warmth of Yiling. But the bite of the cold night kept him alert. Its sting nipped at his bare skin forcing him to remain focused. 

It was also a reminder that his eighteenth birthday was only a month away. And after that, his marriage to Lan Zhan. His eyes glazed over as he pictured his jade dressed in red robes, that beautiful pale skin peeking out from the vibrant cloth, golden eyes burning with need.  A faint smile crossed Wei Ying's lips. His dream of being joined with his soulmate in front of family and the heavens was almost a reality.

But would it be just that? A dream? Had he lost the chance to be one with the man who held his heart? A love that was part of his past, present, and future?

No. Their wedding would happen. Wei Ying would find a way out of this situation he got himself into. This was just another puzzle he had to solve.

Every few steps, Wei Ying's legs threatened to give out no matter how hard he tried to maintain his confident pace. However, he refused to be carried by the men dressed in red and white robes surrounding him so he stayed strong. He would not give them the satisfaction of knowing he had been pushed to his limit today.

Lifting his face up to the darkening sky, Wei Ying couldn't help but smile a bit brighter. Twinkling stars winked at him shyly under a glowing sliver of a crescent moon. The way the luminous body was positioned, it looked as if Chang'e was smiling back at him. Absent-mindedly, he touched the crescent shaped birthmark at his hairline.

Was the goddess telling him that everything would be alright? That she was looking down on him, protecting him until he could be reunited with his warrior jade?

Wei Ying sent a little prayer out to Chang'e. He begged the goddess to guard his soulmate, to watch over him until he could once again hold Lan Zhan in his arms. In his heart, Wei Ying swore an oath to her to never leave his beloved jade's side again. And he swore to Lan Zhan, wherever he was, that once he took his hand in his, he would never let go.

Wei Ying pictured the two of them lying under these endless heavens together, wrapped in each other's embrace. He missed the days of them traveling together, sleeping side by side. Even the days he spent in Cloud Recesses filled him with memories he wanted to drown in. His mind conjured up images so vivid of his beautiful man kissing him that Wei Ying could almost feel his jade's soft lips against his.

Wei Ying was still picturing his fiance lying above him, his golden eyes smoldering with insatiable want when they arrived at his room. The head guard unlocked the large door and shoved him inside. The others took their position in and out of the room while the one in charge scanned for anything out of the ordinary. When he was satisfied there was no way for Wei Ying to escape, they left.

Finally alone, Wei Ying breathed a huge sigh of relief.

But his moment of peace was immediately interrupted by a gentle rapping against the door. Wei Ying ignored it, praying that if he didn't answer, whoever it was would go away.

"Wei-gongzi, it's me." Wen Zhuliu announced.

"Leave me alone."

"I only came to make sure you're alright."

"I'm fine. Nothing that a few bottles of wine won't fix."

There was a slight pause giving Wei Ying hope that the obnoxious Wen soldier had actually listened to him. But his luck had apparently run out long ago.

"May we come in, please?" Wen Zhuliu asked politely.

We? Whose we? Wei Ying wondered.