Story Time

Wei Ying POV

It has been too long.

Months have passed since Wei Ying was last home. Yet everything about Yiling is the same.

Except him.

So much has happened. So much more is yet to come.

When he left, he was simply the heir to the Wei Clan. A young man who thought he was ready for responsibility. A responsibility that seemed years away. His life was simple. It was good.

So how is it that in just five short months since he left his home, he's experienced more life than he did in his first seventeen years?

His happiness came to an abrupt end when he almost lost his mother because of the deceit of his second family. His ideals were challenged when he spent time in his sworn enemy's home and learned that they were no different than his own people, tired of fighting a war no one had come close to winning. His world was turned upside down when he found out he was the reincarnation of a powerful ancestor and part of the prophecy his mother sang to him as a child. His life nearly ended when he was hunted down by the Wen Clan, captured and tortured because of his ability to control resentful energy.

But he wouldn't change it for anything.

Wei Ying's gaze drifts up to look at the man staring out the small window.

Lan Zhan.

His happiness.

His world.

His life.

His soulmate.

His beautiful jade's face is tense but curious. Those golden eyes that could melt the sun take in everything they see. Small twitches of Lan Zhan's head tell Wei Ying that he will have many questions to answer later.

But Lan Zhan isn't the only curious one.

Wei Ying looks past his jade's head at the cautious glances of the common people they pass. Everyone who watches their carriage as it rolls slowly through the crowded street stares at the stranger's face peering at them through the open window. They can see Lan Zhan's pristine white robes and the GusuLan headpiece adorning his midnight hair. And if those didn't give it away, his headband definitely did.

If Wei Ying doesn't do something soon, things could get ugly very quickly.

"Smoky, stop please." he calls out politely.

Immediately, the carriage comes to an easy stop. Lan Zhan turns and casts an uneasy look at Wei Ying.

"It's alright, my love. I have an idea." Wei Ying answers with a confident smile. "Just stay inside until I call you, alright?"

Lan Zhan nods. It's a strong nod and Wei Ying's heart soars at his jade's trust in him.

"I won't be long." Wei Ying whispers before placing a quick kiss on Lan Zhan's cheek. He waits for the blush. When it colors his fiance's earlobes, Wei Ying ducks out of the carriage.

"Hello!" he shouts. "How is everyone today?"

Everyone standing by the carriage smiles at the sight of the young clan heir. There is a feeling of relief at seeing Wei Wuxian amongst the bustling crowd.

"Wei-gongzi, you're back!" a woman dressed in green yells. She has a small child resting on her hip who's chewing on its fist.

"Auntie Chen! It's good to see you." Wei Ying walks over to the young mother and taps the baby lightly on the nose. "And you, too, little one!"