Breaking A Promise

Wei Ying POV

The steel blade burned cold against the thin skin of Wei Ying's neck, its sharp edge aimed expertly at his and Lan Zhan's slowly bobbing throats. Thoughts of his beloved jade lying on the floor dead wove nightmares inside his panicking mind. Wei Ying tried to focus on ways to save the man he loved. He had only a few heartbeats to react before the wielder of the sword pulled back and ended both their lives.

Wei Ying closed his eyes, a plan taking shape in his chaotic genius brain. He breathed deeply, squeezing Lan Zhan's hand tightly. Lan Zhan gripped tighter in an unrelenting hold. Wei Ying knew his jade had already surmised what Wei Ying was about to do and was silently telling him that he refused to let him go.

There was no time for Wei Ying to comfort his fiance. He shifted his weight slightly, ready to pull Lan Zhan back and take the full force of the trembling blade.

Trembling blade?

Why was the blade not steady?

"A-Xian?" The deep voice was raspy and weak.

Wei Ying turned his head.

"Baba?"

Wei Changze let his sword drop to the floor. The loud clang sounded like a gong struck by a stone and Wei Ying cringed at the noise. His father stumbled away from them and towards the beds on the other side of the small room. The exhausted man was obviously unable to keep up the facade he thought he needed as his legs gave out.

"Baba!" Wei Ying shouted as he rushed to catch his collapsing father.

Lan Zhan moved swiftly to the other side of the man he would soon call Yuefu. He helped Wei Ying move him carefully to the bed next to his wife, making sure that father and son did not fall and injure themselves.

"Baba, are you alright? Did they hurt you?"

Wei Ying began running his hands over his father's body checking for wounds. Silver eyes that caught the dim moonlight frantically scanned the dark robes his father wore for any tears. Wei Ying's hands cupped his father's face. With his thumb, he wiped the dark smears of dust off his father's pale skin. Just the thought of anyone hurting his father had the resentful energy inside him itching to seek revenge.

"I'm okay, A-Xian." his father gasped.

"You don't look okay. What did they do? Tell me."

Wei Ying knew his anger was rising. But a warm hand found its way onto his back and instantly calmed his raging emotions. He looked into those golden pools of liquid sunlight and melted under their heat. His mind focused and his body relaxed with each tiny circle Lan Zhan drew upon his back. Those fingers that plucked the strings of his guqin pulled the stress from Wei YIng's muscles allowing him to concentrate on the situation at hand.

Wei Ying turned to his father. "We have to get you and mama out of here. Grandmother has promised to protect you until this is all over."

Wei Changze looked at his son. "What exactly is this? Why are the Wens inside Lotus Cove? What are they hoping to gain by this attack?"

Wei Ying looked at Lan Zhan, a silent conversation passing between them. His jade nodded imperceptibly. Facing back to his father, Wei Ying's lips were pressed tight and his eyes were filled with tearful regret.

"They're looking for us."

Wei Changze's brows knitted together in confusion. "Why both of you?" he asked.

Wei Ying bowed his head. When he did, delicate fingers threaded their way through his hair and he leaned into the familiar touch of his mother's hand. His right hand came up and pressed her warm hand against his scalp even closer. Tears collected in tiny pools in each of his starlit eyes before cascading down his high cheekbones.