🖤💙🐢-} Treat You Right

hello! enjoy the chapter, friends :)

words: 1131

TRIGGER WARNINGS: *Angst, Attachment*

- - - - -

You didn't deserve this.

Everything had seemed to fall apart; it was almost unfathomable.

You stared at the door of your apartment, its echo still reverberating through the room after your former partner, now your ex, had slammed it shut. They had finally done it. They had said those stupid words about you, and finally, you had enough personal reasoning to break up. Anger surged within you, fueled by the hurt and mistreatment you had endured. But beneath the rage, there was a perplexing mix of emotions-sadness, disappointment, and a lingering question of why their actions had affected you so deeply. Tears welled up in your eyes- but nothing had decided to come out.

They had been a constant source of pain, treating you poorly and making you feel like an afterthought in their life. You were always the one left waiting, the one taken for granted. It was as if you were never their priority, always pushed aside for someone or something else. Your friends had always encouraged you to just let go. But, see? That was something that they couldn't see. It wasn't that simple.

As you stood there, the weight of their permanent departure sinking in, you realized that it wasn't just their actions that fueled your anger-it was the realization that you had allowed yourself to be treated this way. You deserved better, and deep down, you knew it.

Typically, after his nightly patrol, your best friend Leo would come and visit. Only sometimes, though. You were so desperately hoping it wasn't going to be one of those nights.

Leonardo? Oh, he was quite the character! The red-eared slider, for some inexplicable reason, always seemed to be covered in cuts and bruises. It was always you who would bandage him up when this happened. For the extra drama, whether he entered through the door or sneaked in through a window to maintain secrecy, Leo would find a way to catch your attention and find any possible reason to flirt with you. He was aware of your existing partner, yet it didn't deter him in the slightest. Strangely enough, he respected your commitment, never crossing any boundaries. He seemed to respect your space overall.

As you stared at the wooden door, still contemplating the previous situation, you heard the dreaded soft taps at your window. The noise behind you was that of the glass slowly opening, and then shutting once again. You couldn't bear to turn around to face him. You couldn't.

"Oh-ho-hoh, if it isn't the one and only-!"

You turned your head and glared.

"Oh, shit. You're crying. God, Princesa, Are you okay? What happened? If it was that asshole partner of yours, tell me, and I swear to god I'll-"

"Leo, stop. It's over. I ended it." You whispered.

Silence filled the room. The turtle's eyes stared into yours. He slowly started shaking his head. Before you could even muster or mumble up another word, Leo's arms enveloped your trembling body with an unprecedented force. The strength of his embrace surpassed anything you had experienced before, so much more than the feeble attempts of your previous partner.

Right on your shoulder, Leo was starting to quietly ramble about your safety and protection, and how he should have done better. It was like he was beating himself up for not being able to take care of you! The long stripes of his dark blue mask cascaded onto your own shoulders, and you brought up two of your fingers to fidget with their ends.

"Listen, (y/n), I know the attachment you had to them. I know it was hard. But, please, just know and understand how much healthier it is for you that they're gone, okay?"

You could only grant him silence after this. How could it be that simple?

"I... god, I don't know how to deal with this, Leon. They were there for me when I needed it. They let me in on their own things on their personal time- I- how can I let that go? I mean, somehow, I just did, but-"

"And I'm proud of you for that, (y/n). But this entire deal is flying right over your head. I know that you think that they were, you know, in love with you..."

Leo stopped in his tracks, hesitant on what he was going to say. He didn't want to hurt your feelings. He knew by a long shot that he was right- but how would you feel?

You tilted your head, swollen eyes only getting smaller. The grip Leo had on you eased as he tilted your chin to meet his gaze. His intense expression conveyed his sincerity and desire to make you understand.

"... but, (y/n), I don't think they were. I think you know that. They did it because they had to. Think about it; they never truly prioritized you, did they? They kept you waiting, took you for granted, while they chased after their own desires and put their own needs first. It wasn't love, (y/n). It was just... toxic."

A single tear escaped your eye, tracing a path down your cheek. Leo reached up and brushed it away with his thumb, his touch surprisingly tender. Silence again. You sighed.

"I know." You mumbled, looking away so your face was no longer in Leo's hold. As comforting as it was, you just weren't looking for touch right now.

"You know...." Leo repeated back. "Good."

Leo locked his gaze with yours, his eyes filled with genuine concern and care- a contrast to his typical dark demeanor.

"I'm glad that you can tell when something is bad for you, (y/n). But, please. You have got to tell me when something is hurting you that bad. I had no idea they got that abusive with you. I want to help, I do- but I can't unless you say something, okay?"

As his words sank in and you slowly nodded, tears welled up in your eyes once more, rolling down your cheeks like uncomfortably warm raindrops. Leo's hand moved without thinking, gently brushing away a tear with his thumb.

"Shhh..." He quietly mumbled to you, his voice soothing and calming. "It's okay. You're safe now. I'm here. And I'm paying more attention to you this time, got it?" Leo joked. You glared at him, signaling that this was not the time. Still, the turtle smirked. He pushed his joke off as if it was nothing.

"I'm still p1ssed about your partner. I will find that dude." Leo exclaimed.

"Leo! You can't!"

"Why not?"

"Just... just don't, okay?"

"Okay." He responded. "(Y/n)?"

"Yeah?"

"You know I care about you, right?"

"Yes, why?"

"I love you. I hope you know that." Leo whispered, hugging you once more.

"I know," you replied, getting on your tiptoes to peck the top of his forehead. "I know."