🟣-} A Mood Boost

hello! enjoy the chapter, friends :)

words: 1049

(e/c) = eye color

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Never was Donatello the one to display vulnerabilities. He made sure never to admit loss and always exhibited caution around everyone he encountered.

Until he met you, that is.

You made him feel wanted when he needed it most. You made him feel comfortable in his own presence, so he was never alone. You praised his creations, despite the fact that he was never given the attention he so desperately sought. And, oh, you made him feel so madly in love.

- - -

It was a late night in Donnie's lab. He was fiddling with a device he's been working on for some time. To his unfortunate loss, the thought of you just wouldn't escape his mind. His thoughts were plagued by your blushed face; your glowing smile; your soft voice.

The softshell shook his head, wishing oh-so-desperately that he could get you off of his mind.

As if on cue, he heard footsteps from behind him. Turning around, Donnie found himself staring into your eyes.

He was frozen in place. He couldn't move, he couldn't breathe. His heart was beating out of his chest, beating for you.

"Hey, Dee! What'cha working on?" You asked, that soft voice of yours paralyzing his heart.

"Oh! Oh, it's nothing. Just a stupid little gadget, that's all!"

"Stupid? Why do you think it's stupid? Whatever it is, I think it's amazing. Come on, Dee, spill it. What's the project tonight?"

Donnie felt his cheeks flush. He loved it when you denied his hate for own inventions; it gave him motivation to keep going when all else failed.

"If you insist, then. It's a containment cell for oozesquitoes. It would keep them in containment until I could utilize them, as reasoned, so it would only take half our time to contain them as opposed to killing them. The ultimate goal is to spend half as much time dealing with the tiny pests so that we can reduce New York's mutation rates more effectively."

You loved it when Donnie went into speech mode. Sometimes, it was hard to decipher what the genius was saying, but it was like heaven hearing him speak.

"That's awesome! I'm glad you're taking that into consideration. I love that the four of you are constantly trying to find solutions to help out around here."

Once again, the turtle grinned with joy. He looked away shyly, completely ignoring what was supposed to be his bad-boy persona.

There was only one small problem with your sentence.

Donnie wanted you to solely recognize him, not along with his brothers.

He wanted you to acknowledge his accomplishments.

He wanted your affection.

"Hah!- Uhm, thank you, (y/n), for the thought, but it's really not all that big of a deal. It's what we do. Er, uh, what I do!"

You giggled at his stutters, smiling gently at his remark. Pulling up a swivel chair, you sat at his side, tilting your head at his creation. It was a small rectangular box with a spring that opened it up, increasing the interior. It had a light; which, by assumption, was what attracted the mysterious mosquitoes. A sweet moment of silence was brought up as you admired the box. A soft whirring sound of overheating machines was all that filled the background.

All this time, Donatello was observing you from hardly two feet away. A red glow flushed his face as he watched you smile at his invention.

And, from the corner of your own eye, you saw.

"Good job on that! I'm not sure what kinda genius name you're gonna give it, but it looks amazing. I told you it wasn't stupid." You gave a tiny chuckle and fixed your eyes on him.

Now, Donnie?

Oh, boy. He was red as a tomato. Not only had you just praised him for his creation, but you had also called him a genius.

If that hasn't pulled his heartstrings, he doesn't know what would. Donnie gulped, knowing that his cheeks were getting hotter by the second. Aware of this, you leaned in just by a few inches.

"You really are something else, you know that? I'm impressed. It takes a lot of hard work to make all of this in a sewer. I don't know anybody else who could do that but you. I can see all the time and effort you put into your work. I want to know how you do it. I want to know how exactly it is you manage to make all this amazing technology, all by yourself. I see you and your genius self. And, you know what? I'm proud of you, Donnie. You're smarter, and honestly, way cooler than just about anyone I've ever met."

Donnie sat there, blushing; he couldn't comprehend what he was actually hearing. He never heard someone speak of himself like this before. It was a whole new feeling. While this blood-rushing sensation was flowing throughout his body, you sat there- only a few inches away.

"I mean, look at this place. Look at the things you've created. Do you know how many people, even in the city, would kill to even get the chance to look at something this advanced?"

You knew what you were doing to him. With each word you said, Donnie shrunk deeper in red.

"(Y/N). Stop it." He mumbled.

"Hm. Stop what?" You grinned.

Donnie shut his mouth. He looked up at you, a small expression of anger furrowed in his brows.

Without hesitation, he wrapped his gloved arms around your neck, pulling your face to his. His lips made a rapid impact with yours, leaving a faint kiss in its wake.

Donnie barely breathed as he slowly ran his fingers through your hair, keeping the connection between the two of you. When he finally pulled back, you were covered in bright pink.

He looked into your deep (e/c) eyes; your eyes that glowed with happiness. Once again, he was forced to come face to face with something he's been putting off for forever.

Donnie was completely and totally in love with you.

"I told you to stop. As much as I liked it, I was going to explode if you kept talking. I had to shut you up somehow." Donnie smirked.

He smiled, and you knew that Donatello was truly grateful for your appreciation.