68. Snafu

The twinkling aurora's harbinger hung in its place, fading into the luminosity of the sun god who gradually rose above the ethereal vista, his rays breaching their way through the lilac curtains fluttering as the wintry gales pushed by them, into the bedchambers of the woman who rose from the flames. The fine canary birds gingerly settled themselves on the windowpane, singing to the month of the freezing Margashirsha as primroses bloomed by the lofty balcony decked in devil's ivy.

She remained caved in the snowy and coral sheets and pillows, that woman who ensconced this thalassic city with her handsome lord by her side. Criticism thrown by life does teach one to shield themselves from them as well as retaliate, and this virago had not once flinched by the names of battles and wars. Waters did know a lot of her ventures.

With her palatial etiquettes and regal aura shining through her slender frame, the dark-skinned woman destined to be empress, beloved of the five sons of Kunti ambled in through the doorpost. Draupadi brusquely handed the salver of celestial munitions prepared by her youngest husband to a handmaiden nearby and settled by Kamalnayani with a muted dip on the mattress, a look of concern clouding her soft features. Gently her fingers threaded into her hair as a sigh passed her quivering ruby lips.

And as if on cue, the youngest princess scowled in her delirium, pursing her lips as a tinsy pain echoed in the back of her mind. She slowly rubbed her eyes open, and pushed herself to sit up when her vision didn't clear up. Lolling her head against the bed, Kamalnayani felt a gaze on her and moved to have a look at her surroundings.

"Oh Krishu, have you been well?" Jyeshtha Yagyasaini husked in concern, snaking her arms around the Kanishthaa. "How come you passed out? Fortunately Aarya Sahadeva and I had been visiting Gajasahrya for formal purposes and Mata Pritha said you were in disbelief and shock and then you keeled over-"

"Shock?" Kamalnayani parroted, turning a blind eye to her body screaming exhaustion even after such protracted slumber, "Oh yes! I do not have memory of what happened after that emissary delivered me a message from Dvaravati-'' her gobsmacked eyes flickered around the room as she mumbled in a skittish gibberish, "But when did I come here? No, I- wait- Pita Satrajita! Where is Bhama Jiji? Are Vratini and Padma Jiji here as well? Where is Kanha? I have to leave for Dvaravati this instant-"

"Calm your horses, woman. Breathe." A familiar guffaw arrived from the threshold as Kamalnayani snapped her head towards it, almost giving herself a whiplash as a groan erupted from her lips and she shrunk in agony again, clasping her temples.

"What the-!?"

Dhrishtadyumna instantly moved to his sister's side, as Draupadi hurried to grind a paste in the stone pestle. He wrapped an arm around Krisha's shoulders and arranged the bolster satisfactorily to her comfort, letting her lean to the headboard slat as she still lurked in perplexity alone.

"Do you refer to Sakhi Satyabhama and her sisters as 'Jijis' too?" Draupadi giggled in amusement, engendering an owlish look from Kamalnayani who batted her plexured lashes.

"How else? They are my sisters by relation, no? Kanha does not interfere between us, but he does say he finds it adorable. Did he say something about it?"

"You sure can, if Govinda approves," the former replied casually. The pellets of the powder that fell in the chalice of water melted into it almost immediately, and she continued moving around in grace with the arrangements, "And do we share blood with the Yadavas? I don't think so. Also, I wasn't aware you knew Sakha so intimately you refer to him with his nickname. Cute." Draupadi giggled yet again, razz playing in her doe eyes as Dhrishtadyumna cleared his throat, clearly not appreciating the thought of conjugal ties for his baby sister just yet.