21. Fastening Of Fates

"I request the father of the bride to step forth for the auspicious ceremony of vara pūjā," the clan priest enunciated as a tearful smile bloomed on Drupada's aged and experienced features.

"For the vara pūjā, the groom must place his feet on a golden platter," the priest said as Kanha followed. Drupada bowed to Narayana before bending down and poured the milk mixed with rose petals on his lotus feet, followed by a cool wave of water and wiped them gently with a piece of cotton cloth.

"Narayana! Narayana! Samudradeva, Maharaja Janaka, Satrajita, Jambavan, Suryadeva, Jayasena, Nagnajita, Dhristaketu, Brihatsena and now Drupada, are having the fortune of doing the vara pooja of Narayana himself!" Narada Muni smiled from the heavens.

"My humble obeisances to Prabhu and Mata." he joined his hands as Krishna blinked at him assuringly, "I sincerely hope my mother comes back soon."

"She will, Narada."

"Achha Prabhuuuu," Narada sang in his usual dramatic tone. "I and with all due respect Shrimana SheshaNaaga are still in a dilemma, who does Mata love more? I am Mata Rukmini's favorite while the others seem to like him more. That is so unfair! What about my Mata's this incarnation?"

"Munivara, perhaps you are forgetting that I am the favorite one." Subhadra piped in, squinting her eyes. "Of course all of my Bhabhis love me more."

"I know whom she loves the most," Kanha spoke with utmost seriousness dripping in his tone, one which was a rare view as Balarama joined the chat too, keenly listening. "I am the sweetheart. Sweetheart is me. Her Adhrit. Now hush all of you."

"I, Yagyasena Drupada, give my daughter, the joy and fortune of my household, to YadukulaNandana DevakiSuta Vaasudeva Shri Krishna," Drupada's voice cracked as he placed his daughter's auspicious hand on that of Kanha's, hence completing the pānīgrahana sanskāra. Tears brimmed Kamalnayani's lotus orbs as she ceased her sight for a moment to gain her composure back.

The kanyādāna means the dāna or "giving" of the maiden's gotra to the fire god. This means that the bride shall leave her father's gotra and take up her husband's.

The overjoyed crowd rained marigold on the divine couple as the other two of the holy trinity and their consorts materialized and mingled in the crowd, grinning to themselves before Medha and Gauri set out to meet the 8 incarnations of Lakshmi who immediately fell upon their necks.

"I am not crying, I am not crying." Dhrishtadyumna sniffled as Shikhandini's eyes glassed with tears.

"She's going...oh god no..." She whispered, her shoulders sagging as a bittersweet feeling transpired in her heart.

"DronaPutra I know you are very very emotional." Nakula nudged Ashwatthama who was already in tears.

"I am not crying, my eyes are sweating Sakha."

"I wish to meet her so badly," Parvati spoke, pursing her lips as Saraswati sighed.

"And we'll have to leave without her realizing her Sakhis were here."

"Worry not, we are still here." Kalindi winked at the other two goddesses who smiled from ear to ear, eyes gleaming with delight.

"Call the bride's brothers and the groom's sister for gathabandhana," the Pandita said as Dhrishtadyumna and Satyajita walked in and so did Subhadra. Ashwatthama smiled, swiping his palms over his eyes to brush off the slight tears settling in the corner of his eyes as he reached between them.

"Gold coins symbolize the abundance of wealth in the newly weds' married life." Maharishi Durvasa smiled as Satyajita placed a few gold coins on the shawl.