67. Kauravi

The castle of Hastinapura oozed the same aura it did back when she had first stepped in here years ago, having basked in forelsket with a certain flautist. The patron goddess of fortune slowly squinted her eyes, unamused, as she deliberately avoided the sugary words of the monarch of Gandhara who limped beside her. The majestic aisles stretched to the far end as bronze fire torches crackled being placed at the rims, the duo hailed as significant political figures unmindfully treading alongside. To Shri Hari's deified queen consort, the emblems of the once lost glory of Maharaja Dushyanta's kingdom appeared significantly more engaging than the menace against virtue.

"Mamashree, I hope you haven't bored my darling friend with your artificially sweet play of words." Dushala gritted entering the line of peripheral vision, immediately noticing her ishta-devi's taut facial muscles now merrily embracing a crescent curl which dawned upon her garnet lips. Gingerly adjusting the loose end of her saree in spruce plates, Kamalnayani linked an arm of hers with her Sakhi, a gesture which overwhelmed the latter who whisked her away to a hall clad for revelry, but not before spitting a mere formal adieu to her uncle.

"So tell me, how's your husband my goddess?" Kauravi grinned, teasingly tugging at Panchalika as the clinking of their ornaments heralded their arrival to the spectators of the Kuru setting.

A gust of sweltering air welcomed the younger Agnisutaa with a rather ominous edge as she took immediate notice of it and pulled her lips in a thin smile. The hall in her favorite crimson lotuses and scarlett curtains was decked such as to appease her but it didn't. Withal, Chanchala's chaotic senses were at home as she beamed at a smiling Kunti and a wary looking Sulabhaa, accompanying the hapless Gandhara princess.

The coterie of Karna, Duryodhana and Dushasana languidly sprawled against a ruby velvet couch with their wives beside. Crown princess Bhanumati folded her hands in mixed emotions almost instantaneously as Angarani Supriya did not do much to hide her curiosity which poured out of her kohl-lined eyes. Karna's first wife Vrishali found company with him as she wordlessly traced the happenings, carrying an air of a simple rustic woman.

"Oh he's...gorgeous," the might of the almighty began her romantic rhapsodies, her honey eyes staring into the far yonder as azure painted the empyrean above the Kuru capital. "Jesting, Sakhi. He's fine. It's absolute bliss back home. We keep exchanging minor conversations daily."

"Of course yes, very much gorgeous." Dushala notoriously giggled, prodding her friend to take a seat beside as the latter blushed a hot red rose. The mothers chuckled along as the greetings were exchanged in a formal way of conduct, hoping things stay as tampered as they are if not more or less. "You are so smitten, Krisha. And I believe so is he. What a pair, may Mahadeva never let any evil eye near you."

"You flatter me way too much." The said woman coyly straightened up, "It's been around a year and...I don't know why I am still giddy about it. He seems like a dream come true, and he's been my nook since forever. Anyway, you tell me how you have been, darling?"

"It's a little agitating at Sindhu." The sole princess of the revered dynasty bit her lip melancholily, and Kamalnayani immediately regretted asking the question. "And I heard what happened at Saurashtra, so I was entitled to have a respite and have your company. Even Kakishree Pritha did come after the news."

Kamalnayani bristled inwardly at the sheer negative vibrations the place exuded and peered at Kunti from the corner of her eyes. The latter slowly nodded, pretending to engage herself in her rudraksha beads. "It must be tough serving as a regent," Kamalnayani said distractedly, hauling her focus back to the conversation.

"Sometimes yes. But all of it seems worth it when your subjects look forward to a brighter future under you." Her Sakhi played around with the plain sapphire ring embracing her finger, Kamalnayani had a chary beam on her face as she continued. "Sometimes...the haunting solitude and sheer caligo seems more like home than a place ever could or does. The relief and fear of seclusion is a paradox."