2. Iridescent Feather

With the onset of dawn in the city of Shri and Shri, began the humdrum routines of the common folk and the adored capers of the fire born siblings. The sun peeking through the horizon was well conspicuous to the eye, orange and red colors as if splashed onto the habiliment of the caelum. While the avifauna were the earliest to begin, the newfound vivacity of the ambience resembled svarga itself for no misfortune seemed to step in where Shri Vishnu's beloved did.

The magenta lehenga and a contrasting snowy upper cloth swished with the roguish gales of Vayudeva who had no other intention than to play around the all mother. Tucking the wisps of her tresses behind her gold clad ear, Kamalnayani was not unbeknownst of the pulchritudinous nature rejoicing in her presence. They augured his advent. Honey eyes were lit inquisitively, lips parted in awe and curiosity at her female associates who narrated old wives' tales and lores bearing veracity.

"—then, Vaasudeva Krishna tore the surface of water and emerged from the venomed Yamuna, rooted on the hood of the mighty serpent who had caused the mayhem!" One of the handmaids supplied and Vahnijaa's eyes were wide, verily like the petals of a fully bloomed lotus. "His feats are prodigious, Rajakumari. Some people even claim that he's Shri Hari himself."

"Really?" She asked in disbelief, blinking when they shook their heads positively in unison. "Yes! The people of the village Gokula were spellbound by the orphic child of Nanda and Yashoda. He defeated the demon and drove him to the ocean, but not before establishing his lotus feet's divine imprint on its hood so that Garuda won't pose him any threat," Karpurika continued with her arms flying animatedly and her whimsie well known.

"The tune of his flute beckoned the cowherd women out of their houses. Abandoning the thoughts of all materialistic shame and of the rumors flying of their affairs, they came to him and serenaded till the dawn broke," Chandrika added, slyly looking around once before whispering the last words, "However, he's a de-facto monarch now— of the capital of the Yadavas, Dvaraka as it is named : the city of gates. He is very much of an enigma, my lady."

Kamalnayani narrowed her eyes, clicking her tongue dismissively, "Good heavens, they were all children. Put reins on your minds and tongues. A sin is committed by actions, words and even thoughts."

"You are naïve, princess. You do not know the ways of the world yet. There are certain limits and codes of conduct. And, you can't influence anyone's view of seeing the world just because you deem it the other way." Suchitra chuckled dryly, causing the daughter of Agni to hum softly in acceptance. "The gopis regarded him as a trickster when he left them and shifted to Mathura in order to slay the despotic overlord and his maternal uncle, Kamsa. Thus earning the animosity of Rukmi, Shishupala, Jarasandha, and many others who were his allies."

"Didn't he and his brother triumph over Jarasandha seventeen times?"

"But also ran away the eighteenth time, earning the name Ranchhod," her other maidservant retorted, "Established Dvaravati in the middle of the ocean to avoid the enemy, slaying one of Magadhanaresha's coterie member— Kalyavana midway deviously."

"I believe sometimes discretion is the better part of valor, Sakhi," Krisha heaved in minute exasperation, wanting to wave off the topic now. "Either way, a war is a war and your sole motive is to win. No matter what method."

As she stood to her feet with the wicker basket laden with lotuses, an iridescent peacock feather floated before her gaze. Kamalnayani couldn't help but beam at the sight as it settled on her reflection in the pond flowing with crystal clear waters, ripples forming as it shimmered in the golden hour. She grabbed hold of the beauteous feather tenderly, and that was when a jeering baritone found her.