6. Stars Aligned

Draupadi's slender dark fingers folded before the goddess of fertility and marriagehood, her doe eyes shutting themselves as a prayer erupted from her lips tinted like rose blooms. The self choice was a few days later, and Prishati had expressed her desire of her daughters visiting the ginormous and beauteous Haimavati temple, to ask for the goddess's blessings and grooms who would behove them. Pulomajaa was cognizant of all the eyes being on her, her unparalleled beauty— dark and glistening like the midnight empyrean had lured many men, but Sachi's heart sang of Indra alone. With a smile tugging the corner of her lips, she let her mind settle on the motherly goddess who was the beloved of Shankara.

'O Shailajaa, may I be the strength of him whose golden frame shimmers like the break of dawn. Dawn he is of dharma and piousness. Let Ajatshatru know of my incessant love for him.

O Gauri, let the great Vrikodara's mace be in favour of dharma, the protector that he is. Let my love for him remain perpetual, my form of Hidimbaa ever his strength.

O Shankara's Shakti, let the determined Dhananjaya Arjuna's bow be in the guidance of him who has infinite names. Let him take me away from among the hyenas like a lion, vanquishing the ones who are foes of righteousness.

O Parvatarājaputri, let the assets of Jyeshtha Ashwineya be recognised. Let the subjects know that he praises not only outer but inner beauty, that he is a man of virtues and the epitome of a gentle being.

O Durga, the wits of the Kanishtha Pandava are well known. He who is one of my husbands who have forgotten me under a curse, let not his mind waver for even a moment when Mata's words shall intertwine our fates. Let all of my lords know of my affection for them.'

'Let this wish be fulfilled, O Gauri Maa. May I be espoused to the one worthy of me, let him be the best among men,' Kamalnayani softly articulated in her mind, her shimmering eyes flickering to the serene features of Mata Parvati from her lotus feet, a bright blush appearing on her apple cheeks. 'Let him be gallant and witty, fluent in speech and mannerisms. May he be with me as Hari accompanies Shri. Like Medha-Brahma belong together, like you and Prabhu Hara are the twin stars scintillating beside one another. May my Priyatama hold as much love for me as I do for him.'

Kamalnayani folded her palms reverently with a pious smile, agile eyes never ceasing for the grandeur of the goddess was too alluring to miss. She murmured a few prayers, the sight of a peacock-feathered flautist playing in her mind unrestrained. A benign touch on her head made her jerk out, the lotus eyed princess found the lotus in the goddess's hands to have dropped in her outstretched veil, where she sought her life-partner - the stars aligned to form a muhurta for the same. And as if auguring the very truth, the divinities forever tied to each other, the garland of Mata Parvati fell upon the one hued like Krishna, making her softly gasp in surprise as the two sisters exchanged blissful giggles, their hearts flying to the ones who resided there.

 And as if auguring the very truth, the divinities forever tied to each other, the garland of Mata Parvati fell upon the one hued like Krishna, making her softly gasp in surprise as the two sisters exchanged blissful giggles, their hearts flying t...