11. Veiled Virago

Eventides for her, were a lesson that even endings could be pulchritudinous. When bhagavana Suryanarayana called it a day for Kampilya, the library was her querencia— her haven. Books were like her elixir, along with those melanges of ginger and lemongrass boiled together which didn't let her doze off amongst the protracted lectures of the sapient Madreya. It was all cosy and utopia, aesthetic and ambrosial, but not today.

Caressing the mane of Tejas who nickered in euphoria, Kamalnayani found herself in the stables which were definitely unstable. The woman in lilac garbs could only coo at the darling ivory stallion whose halter ropes were the compeers of hers in her jaunts driven by vagary.

The royal stables had to be christened the unstables all so suddenly because it was Nakula who was with his sweethearts (and no, Draupadi and Karenumati weren't obviously mad) and he was giving little tips and tricks here and there; along with the solutions to whatever queries she inquired. This process was going on loop, much to the amusement of the other Pandavas and Kanha who just saw bemusement cloud her eyes, but she didn't let any of it show on her face.

Harini obviously wanted to flee from their presence but it would seem rude to distance herself and ask them to go simultaneously. Screaming inside of herself seemed less tumultuous.

Now it happened that her chief lady in waiting crashed through the sheds, her eyes calm and calculative as she found a decent population around the place where her mistress must have mingled, who had to be apprised of the imminent predicament thrown at her face. Instantaneously adopting a poised demeanour, Chandrika nudged a nearby Daasi.

"Where's Rajkumari?"

"Here, Sakhi," Mohini promptly responded and raised a hand languidly at her personal assistant who floundered towards her.

"Say it, Chandra." She softened after reading through the urgency Chandrika let naked in her eyes only at the sight of her, the former's eyebrows met as she kept a hand on the chief lady in waiting who bobbed her head obediently.

"Pardon me, good lady, but the information is intimate. You may not want me to utter it too freely since it concerns you," the eloquence alarmed the princess as she excused herself and scurried into a corner with the lady who whispered the rest of the mess in her ears.

Kamalnayani gasped, standing to her height again and looked around to see if anybody had eavesdropped on the scandalous affair before shaking her head fervently.

"They are still far off, your highness. If you tarry any longer, kindly bestow forgiveness upon me for uttering this doomed prophecy but I fear it might happen that this shall spark chaos and mayhem."

"You just have to excuse or cover up my absence here till I return, Chandra," her mistress hurriedly instructed, gathering her hair into a bun before rushing away.

Plains rolled down as far as the sight could reach, Panchala's outskirts seeming nothing less than a sparse jungle of mahogany and oak woods. The populace was airy as well, people mostly opting to reside as countryside folks did. And since the state happened to be quite fond of nature, along with understanding its importance, a loose work here and there and the place was nothing short of a miniscule paradise.