56. going down together

GOING DOWN TOGETHER

A silver knife will always wear a nasty shade of crimson if it pierces skin.

A fire will have no mercy as it kills everything it touches.

Even us, people, can be lethal and cruel and hurt people we never wanted to hurt.

Some things create irreparable damage. And the longer the knife stays in, the longer the fire is left to spread, the worse it will get.

In Luke's path of self destruction, Calum became collateral damage.

He started a fire and didn't know how to put it out. Declared a war he had no interest in winning.

There was nothing to be done, no words or actions that could repair what he maimed. Calum had to forgive Luke on his own terms.

Being raised by cold eyes taught Luke to carry his pain and to carry it well. But his heart was bleeding in a way he didn't understand. Although the boy is no stranger to an empty bed, falling asleep without Lila beside him had him feeling cold and vacant.

He'd gone his entire life feeling that way, enjoying the loneliness the way one would enjoy shade on a particularly sunny day.

But he didn't want to be cold and vacant anymore.

It worried him. Being apart from her, not knowing exactly where she is, if she's safe. It didn't matter that she was only two rooms away, it felt like an ocean was between them.

Love brought Luke to new heights, showed him life through rose-colored glasses.

Love is also driving Luke to insanity, kicking him while he's down and burying him six-feet under ground. He'd scream, but he fears there isn't anyone left who would care.

As he lays in bed, tossing and turning and hoping the pain will stop, the urge to check on Lila comes on like an itch that just won't go away.

Can she fall asleep without him?

Luke almost didn't want to know.

He pulls himself out of bed anyways, mere steps away from Lila's room when he hears noise coming from downstairs.

It was Calum, grabbing all of their belongings from the kitchen and living room while Ashton cleaned, making it look as if the group had never been there.

Luke's heart stalled in his throat, wondering if Calum was planning to leave with Lila and not tell him. "Are we going somewhere?" He asks.

The dark-haired boy stays silent and begins harshly shoving food into a duffel bag. He then looks to Ashton, who meets his gaze.

"Calum got us a line of jobs out of town and figured we could motel hop." Ashton clears his throat. "That way no one needs to share rooms. Or beds."

"Okay," Luke is passive, his voice calm as he attempts to speak to calum. "I can take the lead if you want."

Calum snickers, bitterly shaking his head as if to say Luke isn't needed.

Their money has dried up like the fucking Sahara since he's been out. As much as Calum thinks he knows what he's doing, Luke can do it better.

Luke proceeds cautiously despite the spark of rage in his belly. "I'm sure we're all mature enough to separate our personal feelings from business." He collects a few steak knives, twirling one between his fingers. "I'm still in charge, let's not fucking forget that."

"Guys." When Ashton makes an obvious gesture with his eyes, both boys turn their heads to see Lila on the bottom step with a suitcase in her hand.

"All packed." She says, a tight-lipped smile spreading on her face.