51. kiss me at midnight

KISS ME AT MIDNIGHT

Three days and Lila's nightmares haven't settled. Neither have Luke's nerves.

She has replaced sleep with painting, adding splotches of color to Luke's tattoos each night while he rests. She's been snagging a few hours of sleep during the day, not finding it difficult to stay up all hours of the night as it's easy to get lost in her artwork until the hours blur together.

Using a wet cloth to wipe away the evidence before he wakes, Lila is naïve to think Luke doesn't know what she's been doing. But he lies perfectly still, perfectly awake, each night.

When Luke slipped away to shower one morning, Calum stopped by. Told her Luke blew off an important meeting because there wasn't an ounce of energy in him. Lila didn't understand, because as far as she knew, Luke had been sleeping every night.

Lila told him to go, that she would be fine on her own. But still, he stayed.

And so the days passed by in a haze of lazy nights and chilly mornings.

"Don't move! your arm is wet." Lila coddles Luke's arm as he rolls over, half awake. He grunts and groans, his eyes half-lidded as he looks over at her.

"Why do you look like you're doing some shady shit?" He murmurs, gaze falling on his arm. His blue eyes widen as he takes notice of the lanterns, sunsets and other random doodles sprawled all over his skin. And his black and white tattoos are now popping with color. "Were my tattoos not pretty enough for you?"

"No." Lila clicks her tongue. "I'm just using you as my human canvas."

"I don't like it. You should've been sleeping, not painting my arm." He states firmly before checking the time. Almost noon.

"You don't like anything." Lila rolls her eyes with a gleaming smile.

"Wrong." Luke shifts his stare from his arm to her face. "I like my car and you."

She blushes, her cheeks as pink as the gun permanently inked on his forearm. "Flattery won't get me to wash the paint off."

"Then what will it get me?" A wolfish grin.

Lila leans forward with her paintbrush in hand, lightly kissing his forehead before smearing a line of cobalt blue across his cheek.

The hair on the back of Luke's neck bristled at the feeling of her lips on his skin. "What was that?" He asks, not referring to the streak of paint on his face.

"A display of affection."

"That's sickening." His nose crinkles, forehead burning as if one forehead kiss was enough to make his body ablaze. "Do it again."

She does. Twice for good measure.

Luke props himself up on the elbow not covered in paint, another arm lazily strewn across his torso. His eyes sweep over Lila, twirling the paintbrush between her fingers, aching to splatter color on something untouched. He hasn't seen that creativity, that passion in her eyes since they were in Florida. "Sit up for me. All the way."

"It hurts when I do that." Her pain has dulled down quite a lot. But jerky movements and anything that requires her to jostle around sparks it right up again.

"You did it when you had that dream." A result of fear and adrenaline. "Try again. I'll give you something if you can do it."

Curiosity stretches across her face. And, as if Luke can sense she's not entirely baited, he flexes his arms above his head, biceps bulging as the bottom of his shirt slips up, exposing smooth muscle. And then he stifles a yawn, acting as if he didn't do that entirely on purpose to appeal to the compressed parts of Lila that want to pounce on him.