52. ruin me

RUIN ME

"This is the worst day of my fucking life." Luke grumbles.

Calum rolls his eyes, giving the blond a shove towards the living room. "Smile, princess. She did all of this for you. Just act surprised."

"I can't believe she's throwing me a fucking party." He scrubs a hand over his face, griping. "No, actually, I can't believe you encouraged her to throw me a party. Why in the hell did you tell her when my birthday was?"

"She bribed me with cake." He simply shrugs his shoulders, giving Luke one last push. "Wow, it's so dark in here. That's strange. isn't that strange, luke?"

"So strange." He huffs out.

The light is turned on, and Luke's eyes are assaulted by the sight in front of him. People jump from every direction, screaming, "Surprise!"

The boy tries not to flinch as his eyes roam the room.

Balloons of every color litter the floor. Christmas lights have been strung around the room, and there isn't an inch of wall that isn't covered in some type of ribbon or party favor. A large banner rests atop the fireplace, wishing Luke a happy birthday.

A small table with drinks, snacks and a massive cake coated in enough icing to put everyone into a sugar coma rests along the back wall.

There aren't many people, almost as if everyone who can tolerate Luke is in attendance. He notices a couple of old acquaintances and Jay – someone he races with every now and then. He mumbles awkwardly as guests come up to greet him, skin crawling with the urge to kick everyone out.

His stomach is overcome with nausea as Michael slaps a sparkly pink birthday hat on his head. "You're one year closer to death. Congrats, man."

Death truly sounds like icing on the mother fucking cake right now. Luke hated everything about today. The party, the people, the attention.

But one warm thought lingered, tugging on his heartstrings.

This is my first birthday party.

And when a pretty girl throws her arms around him, he almost smiles. "Happy birthday, Lu." she kisses his cheek, leaving a soft pink lipstick stain that he doesn't wipe off.

"Thank you. You didn't have to do all of this for me." He really wishes she hadn't.

Lila steps out of the embrace, smoothing out her little black dress. She tilts her head to the side, taking in Luke's vacant stare and sighing as she says, "You hate it, don't you?"

His gaze softens. "What? No, no. I don't. I just... wasn't expecting it."

"That's why they call it a surprise party." She laughs, nudging Luke with her elbow. "I'm not sure which is more ironic. You being born on Valentine's day or you thinking I wouldn't convince Calum to tell me when your birthday was."

Lila had nothing but pure intentions. She believes Luke deserves a day to celebrate himself. Or, at the very least, a day for the people who love him to celebrate him. However, the man of the hour has never felt more undeserving of something.

Plastering a smile on his face was as complicated as brain surgery. He didn't have time to force conversations with people he didn't care about, to eat cake and blow out candles and pretend like his life was mundane. But... for Lila, he would try.

The blond leans down, softly grazing Lila's ear with his lips. "I'm going to shove that fucking cake in your face."

"Wow." She clicks her tongue. "You're so hurt Calum likes me more than you that you'd resort to cake smashing? That's low, even for you."