14. hide and seek

HIDE AND SEEK

"I need some... advice." Luke casually rocks back and forth from the comfort of the basement, where the door is locked so no unwanted ears overhear anything they shouldn't.

The three boys stare back at the blond, confused and a little scared.

He isn't one to ask for advice, typically taking the route of figuring shit out for himself. He considered asking Stella, but they don't do much talking.

"I'm not Lila's favorite person–"

Michael's voice raises a few octaves. "What? No, she totally loves you." He looks to Calum and Ashton for backup, though both boys shake their heads. "Okay, yeah, she's not your biggest fan."

Luke clears his throat. "I need Lila to not hate me." Seeing as how she's warmed up to the others, Luke wants to cut his losses and go straight to the source for help.

Being Andrew's son had very few perks. One being Luke didn't need or care about people liking him. They feared him, and that's always been enough.

No longer kept under his father's wing, Luke realizes his people skills could use a little work. And by a little, he means a lot. But if Rome wasn't built in a day, Luke can't fathom how long it will take to win Lila over.

Calum, standing between Ashton and Michael, steps forward with his head tilted out of pure curiosity. "Why am I here? I literally threw a bottle of water at her head in hopes it would knock her out."

This seemed like a waste of time for Calum. He and Lila didn't despise each other, but they weren't friends. He had much more important things to fill Luke in on, like the men he saw outside of their yard yesterday.

"You did what?" Michael swivels to the side, jaw hanging open as he glares at Calum.

"Moving on. How do I get Lila to like me?" Luke streets the conversation back on track, waiting for a rush of ideas to be thrown at him.

The three boys exchange awkward glances, not wanting to spill the obvious answer to their friends' conundrum.

Michael nudges Ashton forward, flashing a pleasing smile because he's already on Luke's radar where all things Lila are concerned.

"Ashton has an idea." Michael announces, ignoring the jab in his side from the brunette.

He sucks in a breath. "You could try being nice to her?"

The blond wears a blank expression, blinking twice. "I haven't killed her. Isn't that nice enough? To me that's borderline sweetheart level."

"And there's your problem right there, sweetheart." Calum retorts with an eye roll. "You scare her. Tone down the violence a little."

"Try giving her a gift." Michael suggests.

"I'm confused. Is me not killing her not a gift?"

Michael, stumped, opens his mouth as a few incoherent sounds spill out. "I mean... technically... no? So I suppose your goal is to be nicer?"

"Sure." Luke folds his hands together, his lips curling into a displeased frown.

"Maybe not looking at her like you want to shove her dismembered body parts into a mailbox would be a good place to start?" Ashton gives a smile full of unease.

Luke scoffs. "I don't..." a short sigh. "I'll work on that." Though in his defense, he knows more than the others and that's a reason to be wary of her presence. "So less violence, give her a gift and look at her less. Then she'll like me?"